Coral ID

spanko

Pagoda Cup Coral (Turbinaria peltata). a nice one. Have you seen the polyps extend yet?

Picture from paradise pet shop

T

tizzo

I have a frag of the coral in my tank, I have never seen polyp extension.

naclh2o nut

I was given one to try to save. It only has about 15 polyps on it. I got it with about 10. The flesh is now filling in and the polyps stay out 90% of the day.
Thanks for the pic. now I now what I am working toward.

gc1962

Have had this coral for one year now and it has never looked like the one in the other pic. You can see some tiny polyps extending just a litte but nothing like that.

gc1962

I do have a pagoda rock that looks like that with the polyps extended. The polyps on the pagoda rock probably extends at least a inch.

T

tizzo

I don't think they are the same, but I'm gonna look into it more.
I always thought mine was a green scroll... Til I googled green scroll and couldn't find it... I'm gonna look into this further...

T

tizzo

Ok... Upon further investigation, and the help of Bornemans "Corals" book pg 319, were all kinda on the right track.
A pagoda cup is a turbinaria peltata and has polyp extention.
A simple scroll a turbinaria reniformis, and that greenish yellow color is typical as is the brown yellow.
So in short gc1962, you and I have the reniformis version.

gc1962

Thanks Tizzo I am going to try and get a close up of mine this week sometime and will post it when I do, it does have some small polyps that come out when the halides are on.

naclh2o nut

This is a tough guy to please. If I have too much flow on it, then it stays in! Without major flow it gets covered with a dark almost black ?algae?

I have tried to find the mix, (flow) seems to work best with light flow and a toothbrush every other day.