Coral Identify

T

thomas712

I'd like to see a crown shot before I answer, you know head on. The tentacles are so short I'm almost tempted to say something other than BTA, but the column is large enough for a BTA. Is that a really bad layer of scum on the water surface?

fishieness

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Looks like anemone to me also but may be one of those fish eating shroons like Rhodactis.
that was my first thought. it almost looks like a big frilly shroom reaching for some light.

T

thomas712

Yeah I was thinking a shroom, but I can't see the collar or parapet of this guy. could be a big ole shroom too. Shows I don't know everything eh?

kingoftang

It's my cousins...I cant get another shot from any direction because he lives bout an hour and a half away and I wanna find out what it is so I could tell him if its bad or not...Please respond!!!

fishieness

we would need a top shot. have him take a pic with his or his friends digital camera and email it to you.

fishieness

you will be able to get a positive ID then, although it does look very much like a hairy mushroom unde rinsufficient lighting.my LFS has some that have been under NO lighting for a while now and they stretch up like that, as well as are a clearish tan. I got them homw to my PCs and now they are under my new metal halides and they are a magnificent green with dark brown extentions.but before, and now at my LFS, they looked jsut like that.

kingoftang

I found out what it is guys ..........................................................................................................
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
A LITTLE FARTHER..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
ALMOST THERE..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
ITS A BUBBLE TIP ANEMONE!

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by misty7850
That looks simular to the side view of one of my hairy shrooms
heres mine
I think we are thinking similar misty, myself and fishieness, seem to feel that it may be a shroom as well.
I'll ask Bang Guy to stop by.
Thomas

bang guy

From the angle given it looks like an unhappy BTA. There's not enough detail to see if any of the tentacles are bifurcated. Can you get a shot of the disk from the top showing the mouth?

T

thomas712

Thanks for stopping by Bang Guy. I just can't tell from that angle either and did ask for a top shot as well. Did you notice the heavy DOC's floating on the surface of the water column as well?
Thomas

T

thomas712

Dissolved Organic Compounds, they form that scum layer on top of the water column. For this reason many folks go with an overflow. The best ones are internal but there are also external. They bring water from the surface of the water column and bring it down into the sump or wet/dry for processing.
Thomas