Coral Infection?

kynekke

Last week I lost my pin zoos to a white cottony covering that appeared and took over within a 6 days, killing my zoos. I disposed of the zoos and mourned. Today I noticed that SAME cottony stuff is on my tongue! My tongue coral is my baby and I need help in stopping it! 2 days ago my dragon goby buried the tongue and it looked kinda sad for a few days and now has this ring of cotton around it.
Here's the cottony stuff on the zoos, I don't have a picture of it on my tongue yet but it's exactly the same. Any ideas???
TIA
Tanya

candycane

My first two guesses would be a disease called White Plague, it's caused by a Pathogen called Aurantimonas coralicida. You can google it or something. The next would be stinging by other corals causing the corals to bleach out and release their zooxanthellae in the form of a web. I have no idea what is in your tank, but some corals have sweepers that can reach up to a foot or more.

reefkprz

its a sponge. you can pull your coral out of the water and remove as much as possible by hand. between picking it off and air exposure, you stand a pretty good chance of killing it.

nanomantis

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2600233
its a sponge. you can pull your coral out of the water and remove as much as possible by hand. between picking it off and air exposure, you stand a pretty good chance of killing it.
My thats awefully fast for a sponge to grow...
If that doesn't work kent makes a coral dip that you can pick up at your lfs. I have used it and it works pretty well against baterial infections on corals. It is some sort of a concentrated Iodine solution.

t316

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2600233
Reefkpr....Where does this come from? Was this something that was imported, or something that just developes under the right conditions?

billabonk

Originally Posted by Kynekke
http:///forum/post/2599936
Last week I lost my pin zoos to a white cottony covering that appeared and took over within a 6 days, killing my zoos. I disposed of the zoos and mourned. Today I noticed that SAME cottony stuff is on my tongue! My tongue coral is my baby and I need help in stopping it! 2 days ago my dragon goby buried the tongue and it looked kinda sad for a few days and now has this ring of cotton around it.
Here's the cottony stuff on the zoos, I don't have a picture of it on my tongue yet but it's exactly the same. Any ideas???
TIA
Tanya

i know what happened....
what kind of water do you add to the tank?

kynekke

I use RO/DI water with Reef Crystals. Last night I did an iodine dip on the tongue coral (the zoo in the picture didn't make it). I noticed the cottony growth is gone but it left this awful white ring around the tongue. The growth on the tongue appeared overnight and encompassed the entire white ring.
Tank 110 Gallon
Sump 20 Gallon/fuge
Temp 76-78
Lights : 195W PC, 2-175W MH and 1-250W MH
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~10
Calc 400
Alk 10
pH 8.2
Phos 0
Copper 0
Because this is a tongue coral he's WAY out by himself, nothing around him so nothing could have stung him. I do know he was buried in sand by my dragon goby a few days ago but I dusted him off and he seemed fine.
BTW, this picture was immediately after the iodine dip so he's pretty ticked off and shut up, he's started to open a bit this morning.