Coral Keepers Non-Photosynthetic tank Diary.

coral keeper

Hello everyone!
I decided to make a Non-Photosynthetic tank. Its going to be the 8 gallon biocube. I took out all of the corals, and fish from there and put it in my 28 gallon HQI nano cube. The filtration on this tank is: around 6 lb of LR in DT, some LR in the back chambers, chaeto in the middle chamber, 14 lb of live sand in the DT, and weekly water changes of about 20%. I covered up the tank with towels and am only going to be turning on the PC lights for 30 min a day for the Coraline algae. The chaeto light is going to be on 24/7. I'll explain alot more later today. I have to go do my homework right now, so when I finish all my homework, I'll explain some more. Here are a few pictures of the tank.

snakeblitz33

looks like a good start. Hopefully it will work. I would let it have some light - don't want to kill the beneficial algaes.
hope it works for yah!

coral keeper

Ok, I just finished my homework. This is what I'm going to do, cover it up for a full month, add 7 ml of phyto everyday-every other day for one month, do 20% water changes every week in that month, then on November first I'm going take the towels off and there should be TONS TONS of sponges/feather dusters/filter feeders and the hair algae will be gone.(got a small 2 inch rock that is covered in hair algae) So that is why I'm covering the tank up with towels for now. I'm not going to leave the tank covered in towels for ever.

A

alexmir

your not worried that adding phyto every day for a month wont cause a slight spike? Good idea though to leave the lights off for a month, hopefully it will kill all the hair algea!!! I hate that stuff
to hair algea

keebler

I love this idea, I may have to start up a small tank and do this. But not for a while, don't wanna steal your thunder. Good luck.

coral keeper

I'm not going to be doing the non photo tank right now. Right now I'm using it as a frag tank because I had too many corals in my 28 gallon. lol

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2866335
I'm not going to be doing the non photo tank right now. Right now I'm using it as a frag tank because I had too many corals in my 28 gallon. lol
not a bad way to change plans...