coral life skimmer

i have the coralife 125 skimmer on my 90 gallon. the skimmer DOES work and makes a thick sluges in the cup but im curiosu as to how much it should be producing. it ends up being very think and then i clean it but not much in my 2 liter i have it draining too... if the cup gets dirty does that prevent proper skimming or is it not that great of a skimmer or just not a heavy enough load to produce much skimmate... or... do i jsut need to change the setting to allow it to pass more water? thanks in advance....

gsellers

sell it and get a new skimmer. IMO you take more time cleaning it than it takes to pull out decent skimmate.

mr_x

some say that the skimmer cup needs a slime coat in order for it to skim properly. aqua-c's directions on the remora(which i hated btw), stated to clean the neck and cup regularly, and the skimmer will work better. i found this to be true with my other skimmers as well.
i don't buy the slime coat theory.
meanwhile, i'm told these aren't the best. i've seen a couple 125's on tanks that were loaded with skimmate. was it enough? who knows?
i only had the opportunity to run a ss65 for about a month in a rock curing bin. it was ok i guess.
i would run the skimmer as wet as i could. it will do it's best when running it wet.
here's the 65....
the rock bin-

1 day-

mugg1977

I clean the cup on my 220 evry couple of weeks. The only thing is that you need to watch the setting when you clea the cup out because the foam level will be higher initially after cleaning the cup. My 220 produces about 2L of thick green skimmate every week, and has worked perfectly on my 120. I think the biggest problem with the SS is flow throught he skimmer. I am using a larger needlewheel pump than what came with the skimmer and everything is working great now!

robn70

Originally Posted by Mugg1977
http:///forum/post/2817645
I clean the cup on my 220 evry couple of weeks. The only thing is that you need to watch the setting when you clea the cup out because the foam level will be higher initially after cleaning the cup. My 220 produces about 2L of thick green skimmate every week, and has worked perfectly on my 120. I think the biggest problem with the SS is flow throught he skimmer. I am using a larger needlewheel pump than what came with the skimmer and everything is working great now!
Mugg1977 What pump did you upgade your's to? I've got a 220 that will be going on my 90 when i get the wall built that the tank is going into sometime this winter. It's time to get started on the project as i've had the tank sitting empty for the past year.