coral problems...please help!!

drewster

Everything in my tank is dying and melting away. I only have some xenia and galaxia and a few mushrooms. The other day they just started dying it seemed and now they are melting away it sems. The only water parameter that is out of wack is my PH. It's high. Can this cause that much of a problem? What can I do to lower it? I am gonna try a huge water change today and see if that adjusts the PH. The LFS told my parents that it could be my light bulbs and I would need to change them. I'm not sure how old the lights are because i bought them used. Chances are they could use a change. Any thoughts?

drewster

Basically they all started dying at once. The xenia isn't pulsing at all. Its getting smaller and smaller and its tentacles are closed. It doesn't seem to be losing color either. My mushrooms are getting smaller and my galaxia coral is basically dead I think. I have no idea whats going on. I put a lot of additives in my aquarium. When I get home from work I will list the additives I use.

drewster

I'm still at work but will try to answer any questions I can from the top of my head. The lighting i use are 6 VHO 110W bulbs. 3 white 3 blue. The tank has been set up a month. Here is another question. I bought the tank used and basically transferred the entire tank to my place and set it back up the same day. I also took most of his water, substrate, and rock. When i set it back up at my place did the cycle process start over? Is it truly a 1 month old tank? Any thoughts?

drewster

I think I finally found my problem. Not sure why I overlooked it but my salinity is off the chart. I mean way over. How is this possible? I always make sure the RO water that I add is at 1.025 or so. My meter goes up to 1.03 and when i checked it today it was off the chart. So its obviously way about 1.03 right now. What can I do to fix this problem? Can I take out some water and add plain RO freshwater? Damn, I rarely check my salinity in my water anymore. I think i'll check it more often nowadays.

mr . salty

When the water evaporates out of the tank the salt stays in the tank. ONLY THE WATER EVAPORATES. Do not add salt to your top off water. This is how the salinity rose to this level.Sorry this has happened.Even more sorry that it was such a simple mistake that caused it. Oh well,live and learn.Just start removing water,a gallon at a time and replacing with plain RO. Do this slowly so as not to change too quickly.STEVE

drewster

I add about 5 gallons of top of RO water every 3 days or so. Are you saying I should use complete freshwater with no salt? Or should i make the salinity of the new water very low?

mr . salty

No salt at all.As I said salt does not evaporate. As the tank water evaporates,the salt remains in the tank.If enough water evaporates your salinity will rise.If you are adding saltwater to top off,you are double dosing the salt.Thus your salinity rises. Only mix salt when doing your monthly water change.OK? STEVE

terry

I agree with Steve and Irena Pisces. The salinity is your problem. However another reason your corals may be dying is because of the young age of your tank. Most corals should only be introduced in a olded tank.
Well good lk anyway.
Tyrone

jtirone

thanks. I was having the same problem in my tank. I have elevated phos, but it has been that way for months. I just did a water change, and everything has not been happy. both of my leathers are dying. one just melted. I checked the salt. 1.025... oops. I normally keep it at 1.022