coral QT

annanymous

ok, i've just finished reading beth's thread on QT set-up and maintanance, but here is my question...
i've read on another forum that it is very important to quaranteen the new corals too because of many parasites not visible to our eyes in the beggining [ ibelieve that statemnet ompletely, cuz i bought few months ago perfectly healthy and clean zoos which brought hell to my display. egg laying zoo eating nudibranches, that i still take out by dozens everyday]
anyway, i was wondering how would i QT a clam or lets say any SPS. do i have to buy MH or VHO lighting for my QT then or would NO light still be ok for the few weeks they will be quaranteened? wouldn't they bleach if the lighting in insufficient?
i am planning to get a hippo tang, so i know hypo is number one on the list of my QT to-do-list. but what will i do if i get a coral at the same time too?
i've got many more questions, but it is late now and i'm falling asleep [cant formulate sentances anymore]
, so i will stop here for now.
thank you

beth

Administrator
Staff member
And that is the problem with QTing corals. Are we supposed to outfit our QTs with coral-level lighting? Would be nice, but doesn't seem realistic.
LR could be an introduction point for ich and it can easily be QTed in a rubbermaid with PHs running. No need for light.
As for corals, I would try to "be wise" about where you get your corals from. For instance: Don't get corals from tanks that share water, filters, etc., with fish tanks.

ophiura

I think it is a good idea in an "ideal" world where you have the lighting for it. But certain corals could definitely suffer, IMO, under low lights for a few weeks or whatever. I agree with Beth on trying to be very observant if possible. I know there is one place around here where the tank was covered in flatworms. Lots of people probably wouldn't notice...but I wouldn't buy a coral out of there..or probably take one for free. Its definitely not perfect, but I don't have lots of $$$ to upgrade the lighting on my main display let alone providing for it on a 2nd invert QT (probably don't want to use the same QT as you do with fish as that will have medications, etc, in it - and you can't use it for a coral at the same time as with a fish...two separate systems would be needed).
Edit:
I will add that I am not necessarily saying you would need halides on your tanks...but I think there would still be a decent investment in PC, VHO or NO if it is a shallow tank. Still potentially some significant money...not on my list I am afraid but if I had a big highly prized collection? That would probably change.

jacknjill

ive heard of some people doing an iodine dip on all new corals before putting them in the tank to kill parasites

annanymous

last question...
on another forum i also read that in order to keep the QT "running" all i need is to keep the filter working on the MT while my QT is empty in the closet. i understant the statemtn perfectly well, but what if i add cupramine to the QT with the fileter running on it and then move it to MT, wouldn't that effect my inverts and let the copper in the system?
and if thats true how then can i keep the QT "running" when i dont have time to feed the tank and/or do water changes every week. i just set up a 90g and im planning to have a few fish, but i dont want to buy all of them at the same time. some i wont get until next year proly, but how can i set up a QT everytime i buy a new fish. i dont want to have to cycle it everytime.
is there a way out??? :thinking:

jacknjill

you dont have to cycle it. all you do is use the water from your main tank. i only set mine up when i have to treat a fish for something. takes about 10 minutes to fill it up and get it running. i hardly ever use it.