Coral question

clown-lover

I used to have Xenia in my old tank, I LOVED to watch them pulse! But in a very short amount of time, they were taking over my 55 gallon tank.
I'd love to have a coral that is similar to xenia, but not as 'fast' growing. My tank now is only a 29 gallon, and I can only imagine how fast it could get over run if I add xenia to it!
So, my question, what corals are there that are similar to xenia, in the sense that they pulse?

flower

Nothing beats the beauty of Xenia, I don't know any coral that pulses like it. I used to turn my rock on the side and let the Xenia spread upward and then flip the rock around when it reached too high..It stayed in the one side of the tank where I allowed it to grow, it never got out of hand.
Frags at the LFS around here sells Xenia $60.00 for one stalk, so pluck it off a rock and sell it if you get too much.

clown-lover

$$$$ Really???? Wow.
I never thought about flipping a rock over and over. If it grew on one side and I flipped it over, would it die on the bottom? Or do you mean it would just move around the rock?
And I agree, it was really pretty. Color wasn't the best, but it's great to watch!

flower

Originally Posted by Clown-Lover
http:///forum/post/3290326
$$$$ Really???? Wow.
I never thought about flipping a rock over and over. If it grew on one side and I flipped it over, would it die on the bottom? Or do you mean it would just move around the rock?
And I agree, it was really pretty. Color wasn't the best, but it's great to watch!

FLIP the rock, top to bottom not flip it over. Xenia grows upward what is on the bottom clears off, but turning the top back to the bottom you make the Xenia keep climbing that same rock instead of spreading all over the tank.
I love the way Xenia dances in the water, it's my favorite soft coral.