Coral questions>>

bmac_2727

I bought some yellow polyps from my lfs about a week ago. When I bought them they were bright yellow under her MH lights. Now I have noticed they are slowly starting to turn more brown than yellow but the button in the center is still very vibrant. I am only running 2 24W 50/50 lights. Is the color change becuase of the weaker lighting or is this normal??
SP-1.024
TRITES-0
TRATES-0-20
CALCIUM- 525PPM
PH- 8.1

Y

yoshii

Yes, they will start to turn more brownish in color under weaker lights.
(also, your calcium is high!)

flower

Originally Posted by yoshii
http:///forum/post/3280150
Yes, they will start to turn more brownish in color under weaker lights.
(also, your calcium is high!)

+1
The difference in the lighting of MH and 50/50 florescent bulbs is huge. Some folks swear by T5s, but nothing IMO beats MH lighting to make the coral colors pop.

bmac_2727

I was hoping that isn't what was going on with them. I would get some MH lights but I am working with the JBJ 12G DX and I think the DIY project would really just be more trouble than whats its worth. I am in the process of saving up for a 75g and the MH's are definetly going on that one. With my calcium levels i thought were a little high but I thought that would be better than too low. I am thinking calcuim levels are to be around 450-550ppm, if i am wrong please fill me in and how do I get it lower or should I just let it lower itself over time?? Also with the polyps if I move them alot closer to the lights will it make a difference?

Y

yoshii

Originally Posted by bmac_2727
http:///forum/post/3280303
I was hoping that isn't what was going on with them. I would get some MH lights but I am working with the JBJ 12G DX and I think the DIY project would really just be more trouble than whats its worth. I am in the process of saving up for a 75g and the MH's are definetly going on that one. With my calcium levels i thought were a little high but I thought that would be better than too low. I am thinking calcuim levels are to be around 450-550ppm, if i am wrong please fill me in and how do I get it lower or should I just let it lower itself over time?? Also with the polyps if I move them alot closer to the lights will it make a difference?
You don't have to get MH lights for these guys, they're just used to brighter lighting, but yeah, moving them higher up should help with the color.
I think 450ppm Calcium is max, it's kinda like medicine, too much hurts more than it helps!

bmac_2727

well i took another test of the calcuim levels and it is still around 500ppm. I am going to just let it lower itself over time and bring it down a bit. I guess I am going to move around the rock a little and try to get the polyps a little closer to the light and see what happens. Its just that all my star polyps and my hammer and mushrooms are doing great where they are so I am a little concerned about moving them. Also I have had this tank up and running for about 3 months now and I am desperatly trying to get some purple algea (coraline) growing. Nothing is even remotly showing signs of any growth.

bmac_2727

okay well seems how i got some attention I might as well turn this into a thread. So I am looking for something to take up some open space. Any suggestions?? I was also thinking about getting a bubble for my pair of clowns to see if they would host, any opionion's??