Coral Selection

spacemonkey

Ok, I'm wondering if i could get some opinions on wether or not I'll have any problems with this set up.
I currently have a
Galaxea Coral,
two different types of mushroom corals,
1 large rose bulb tip anenome.
I'd like to add a couple more LPS corals, possibly a brain coral and Candy Cane Coral and some pumping xenia.
I'm aware of how aggressive the galaxea can be it will be a good distance away from any other coral. I've read you shouldn't mix hard and soft, but what about hard with some polyp corals?
any thoughts and advice would be great. tks

I believe that you shouldnt mix SPS corals with soft corals, although I have to be honest that i am unaware of exactly why this is. But you can mix LPS such as the brain and candy with softies all you like. As you stated the galaxia can pack a potent punch from a good distance away but as long as you know that you will be fine.
What lighting are you running?

fish sense

Softies can produce toxic substances for hard corals. I'm not sure if that is only for SPS or LPS as well. Carbon can detoxify them. Also, probably only agressive softies will cause any problems.

spacemonkey

Do you think there would be any problems mixing LPS with the Xenia?
I have two 175w envirolite bulbs I bought instead of the metal halide. I was afraid of water hitting the halide and the light exploding. These are not as bright but they seem to be doing good, everything is growing, and two 18" florescent marine glo lights 15w.

what are envirolites? Specifically the kelvin rating if you know it . . .
I have an open brain, frogspawn, and alveopora in the same tank as xenia, capnella, and some zoos. Been there for over a year and no problems. But I do run carbon once a month.

That bulb is definitely not intended for aquarium. Several major reasons come to mind. First and foremost, I doubt that it is intended for use in a high moisture environment, a short could result and you could have a fire on your hands. A second problem is that the color temp is too low. You are going to have a serious algae problem if you use that light for very long.

gatorcsm

I have a mixture of softies, lps, and sps with no outward problems. Some state that they can have stunted growth or less color, but I don't see any problems with color, but don't know if they would be growing faster or not.. They grow at varying rates, but some of the sps is growing extremely fast. The biggest pain, is keeping them from touching when something knocks them over, etc. But that will happen with any varying coral most of the time.