Coral Suggestions

kms

Would anybody please provide me with a list of corals that would be ok with my current setup which includes:
- 45 Gal
- 2 x 96W PC (1 X 10K and 1 X Actinic 03)
- 2 coralife moonlights
- Emperor 400 with 2 carbon packs and 2 bio wheels
- AquaC Remora Pro with Mag3
- Lights sit about 10" off water surface, no glass.
- @ 45 lbs LR
- @ 40 lbs LS
- all setup June 2003 (except skimmer was added last week)
Any suggestions appreciated...thanks!

mrmaroon

I would wait for you new skimmer to really get the water cleaned up. Maybe a couple weeks. Are you looking for easier corals. I started with mushrooms and yellow polyps. Both are quite easy. Yellow polyps seem to do a little better when occasionly fed frozen brine shrimp. The yellows do spread pretty well too. Star polyps are nice looking and pretty easy. One problem with them is that if your water is really good, they can start to spread quite quickly. A lot of the leatehrs are fairly easy I think. The hardest to keep coral I have is a frogspawn. Again, if you have good water, they seem to do well to. I bought mine as a single head a couple years ago and it is now has 8.
Most of the soft corals are good to start with. I would not recommend startinf with hards, clams, or any kind of plate coral.

kms

I definitely had planned on waiting a few weeks before adding any corals, but thanks anyways for that heads up. I am also definately looking to start slow. Softies are basically what people have told me I should start with and could keep healthy, considering I only have at this moment 1 96w 10000k and 1 96w actinic 03. I am certainly not looking to throw any hard corals under PCs and would never think about clams until serious MH lights.
I have been looking around and I will probably start with some mushrooms/polyps. I really like green star polyps. I will definately at some point get a leather or two. Would I be able to keep frogspawn flourishing? I really like frogspawn, but had ruled it out b/c I thought I needed more intense lights.
What are the general acclimation procedures for corals? How many frags/pieces can you add at once? Is is like fish in that you should only add a few, if even that many at once? What kind of bioload do corals carry? Thanks for the input!

mrmaroon

I would add just one or two at a time. They dont really add a lot of bioload I do not htink. However, some of them can sting eachother depending on placement. You also do not want to spen 200 or more on corals all at once to find out that your water is off a little and lose a lot of $. I would start slow. As far as a frogspwan. I have a 55g with 210w, so just under 4wpg. Mine is doing wonderfully.