coralife 260 watt lights?

jreefa

I just purchased a 48" a coralife 260w light fixture.Has anyone had any experience with these lights?If so,I need to know if these lights are sufficient for soft corals.
thanks in advance.

92protruck

I have the same lights on a 72 bowfront (tall). I have button polyps, zoos, mushrooms, green star polyps and a colt. All are thriving. Lighting is a much debated topic and everyone has strong opinions. That being said, I think most (certainly not all) will agree that softies and some LPS will do very well with those lights. Sun coral and sponges don't need any light. Anenomes, SPS and clams would be a challange.

masala4080

92ProTruck - are you happy with the coralife setup. I just bought the same setup but have not recieved it yet. Alough it is not the main source of light, just a supplement to my MH lights. What do you think about the coralife lights, any flaws that you have noticed? thanks!

murph145

i just got a set of those too....
how much did u pay for them??
i just got a new canopy one that has 10"s of clearance underneath and the whole top lifts up so im putting the 48" dual 260W retro system in with 2 21" dual 55W retros and one 36" 28W T5 actinic light .... so i will have a total of 398W over my so called 100 tank but when measured the inside its really a 92 gallon :rolleyes:
altogether the 260Wlights and the new 100g canopy top cost me $400 i think it was a pretty good price... i already have the other lights as part of my current system
how are the lights??

mbrands

Originally posted by JREEFA
I just purchased a 48" a coralife 260w light fixture.
I need to know if these lights are sufficient for soft corals.

Isn't is a little late now?

I have the same fixture and am very happy with it. All I've got right now is a torch coral, but from what I've read and been told other soft corals should be fine. No hard corals or clams though.

jreefa

i paid $230 at my LFS.The light seems great,but I left them on all day and brown algae is growing off of my live rock.Any idea on what that stuff is?

92protruck

Masala4080, yes I am happy with the coralife lights although I am new and I don't know enough to be unhappy yet....and I like it like that! I purchased the clear plastic legs and I am not very impressed with those. They are flimsy and will break if you constantly take the lights on and off the tank (like I do). I have seen some better heavier duty hinged black adjustable legs I wish I had bought instead. But the lights work great for me!