Coralife Aqualight 96 Watt Quad 50/50

hexagon30

What can I keep as far as livestock with this lighting on a 30 gallon Hex?
It's an Aqualight Retro 50/50.
I can't exactly find the specs. I think it's dual 10k compacts and dual actinics.
3.2 watts per gallon? or Do I divide 96 into 4?
Thanks Reefers :)

T

tuningvis

is your hex.... a tall hex?
if so you might want more wattage

hexagon30

Originally posted by tuningvis
is your hex.... a tall hex?
if so you might want more wattage

Ya hex. Damn I thought 96 watts was gonna be good enough.
Anyone else please? :jumping:

T

tuningvis

no.. haha .. i understand it's a hex... but is it a TALL HEX
???
do you have a pic?

hexagon30

Originally posted by tuningvis
no.. haha .. i understand it's a hex... but is it a TALL HEX
???
do you have a pic?

I'm sorry LOL yap TALL. my bad.
The canopy and space above is so limiting. What would you recommend as far as an addition(wattage or otherwise) to the 96 watt.
I saw a MH retrofit that I maybe able to add.

T

tuningvis

i really dont kow but i know it will be tough to give proper light to corals of any type with 96w in a tall hex..
maybe someone can give you more tips

verde_ad

I dont' know what the depth of your tank is, but if you build your rock up you should be able to keep the more ligth intesive corals at the top and less light intensive at the bottom. That is what corals do in the wild, so it should work in your tank.

hexagon30

Originally posted by verde_ad
I dont' know what the depth of your tank is, but if you build your rock up you should be able to keep the more ligth intesive corals at the top and less light intensive at the bottom. That is what corals do in the wild, so it should work in your tank.

Well, here's my rockwork...the 96watt retro is bright, It's brighter than the tanks at the LFS, but I know that just because it's brighter it does not mean better.
Hopefully someone can give me a good recommendation on a lasting setup that will help me when to learn and use the experience on larger setup in a year or so.

hexagon30

Originally posted by Hexagon30
Well, here's my rockwork...the 96watt retro is bright, It's brighter than the tanks at the LFS, but I know that just because it's brighter it's better.
Hopefully someone can give me a good recommendations.

verde_ad

I think that rock work looks good. You may want to build up one side and sort of make a reef slope. You could easily accomplish this by adding a few pieces of rock on the left hand side. This would give you a place for a couple shallow water corals (bright light) and then you would have a gentle slope down to the bottom, where you could have your shrooms and lower light creatures.

hexagon30

I think that rock work looks good. You may want to build up one side and sort of make a reef slope. You could easily accomplish this by adding a few pieces of rock on the left hand side. This would give you a place for a couple shallow water corals (bright light) and then you would have a gentle slope down to the bottom, where you could have your shrooms and lower light creatures.

Thanks! You think the 96 watt is good enough?

verde_ad

I think that light puts out a good amount of light. You could always go more, but you will have a lot of possibilities with that light.

hexagon30

I think that light puts out a good amount of light. You could always go more, but you will have a lot of possibilities with that light.

IC. I thought I was totally screwed, I guess I'm just partially screwed.
LOL

T

tuningvis

Originally posted by Hexagon30
IC. I thought I was totally screwed, I guess I'm just partially screwed.
LOL

pretty much

no but you might just wanna keep your eye out for stronger lights... but in the mean time ... keep the corals you do get(or have) higher up in the tank