Coralife Aqualight Elite - Any good?

I want/need to upgrade my lighting with my new tank. I found a Coralife Aqualight Elite Metal Halide/Compact Fluorescent Fixture and was curious if it was any good? 48" - 692 watt (2-250 watt, 2-96 watt).
Currently I have an Orbit 48" 260 watt (64 x 4) on the 110g (48 x 18 x 30)
Thanks!

culp

well since i know nothing on that light i do know that the 48 inch Current USA 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro is a vary good light and its a lot cheaper too. you can get it around $379.99

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2877834
well since i know nothing on that light i do know that the 48 inch Current USA 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro is a vary good light and its a lot cheaper too. you can get it around $379.99
My tank is 30" deep and from what I hear/know I need a lot of watts to get to the bottom 6x54 is only 324w and mine is currently 260, an increase of only 64 watts, not enough to spend $380 extra. However for $460 I can get 693 watts, an increase of 433 watts over my current setup. The light is currently 50% off which makes me wonder why! Is it any good? Problems/Issues? Or are they just looking to move the light out of stock? I want to jump on this deal, but I am afraid it is too good for a reason.

mboswell1982

west, the old deal of watts per gallon is a joke. its not so much the amount of watts, but what kinda lighting it is.
T5HO lighting will put our better light than PC will, the current usa nova extreme pro should be good for you, but, for 30" of depth, you honestly need metal halides, unless you plan on putting ur corals closer to the surface an not down in the sandbed

stanlalee

its a nice light (there's nothing there that doesn't meet the eye. mogul ends, two pc, batwing equivalent reflector and fan cooled. its basically a retro halide and pc kit in a fixture instead of a canopy. very simular to the retrofit they sell but with SE bulbsinstead of DE). Its a STEAL at the close out price $460 its going for now. the normal price was WAY overpriced. your going to want to keep SPS halfway up and better but otherwise it will be fine. if its not enough all you have to do is swap the remote ballast for 400 watters to upgrade. I dont really think that will be neccessary. perhaps a bulb upgrade is all you'll need. If I had a 48" tank and was looking for lights I would have definately got that over the sunpod I got (I like it but thats just plain bettter for the same money).

Almost 4 years later I bring this thread back up....so I purchased new electronics ballasts for this fixture, but I read you have to remove the 'starter' when going from magnetic to electronic ballasts. I can't find or don't seem to have a starter. I have taken the fixture apart. The current wires come into the fixture, the ground goes the housing and the 2 others go to the socket wires then into the socket. Could the starter be part of the socket on this light? ASAP answers would be appreciated as I am doing this project while the wife and little one are out of town and I have this thing in piece all over my living room!

snakeblitz33

Let me make sure that you are talking about the metal halide electronic ballasts, correct?
It's a mogul socket - meaning that it is not a DE socket... that means you have either purchased a "pulse start" ballast or a "probe start" ballast. Which one is it?
If it's a pulse start ballast, use pulse start bulbs... if it's a probe start ballast, use probe start bulbs.
The mogul socket base doesn't really have much to do in the way of how it starts - but in the way electricity is supplied to the bulb - which should be no different if it was pulse or probe start since a mogul base is a common socket to use in either case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/343566/coralife-aqualight-elite-any-good#post_3496284
Let me make sure that you are talking about the metal halide electronic ballasts, correct?
It's a mogul socket - meaning that it is not a DE socket... that means you have either purchased a "pulse start" ballast or a "probe start" ballast. Which one is it?
If it's a pulse start ballast, use pulse start bulbs... if it's a probe start ballast, use probe start bulbs.
The mogul socket base doesn't really have much to do in the way of how it starts - but in the way electricity is supplied to the bulb - which should be no different if it was pulse or probe start since a mogul base is a common socket to use in either case.
Correct, it is a Lumatek 250W Ballast Kit. They don't list if it is a pule or probe start. This is the only indication they give...."Lumatek ballasts are programmed to allow for a `soft start` and do not require an initial power surge to start the ballast." I will be using this with the 250W Hamilton 14k Mogul.

flower

Hello....I have the Coralife Elite. 48" 2 X 175w MH with 96w actinic. I have decided I HATE all things made by Coralife and wouldn't recommend the brand to anyone.
My experience:

• First, upon delivery, one ballast was no good, Coralife is no longer in business (any guess as to why has been answered) Anyway the company that took them over sent a replacement. Nice and fast and very good service.

• The ballast sent blew the new $70.00 14K Phoenix bulb. I was told then (by the nice customer service guy) that ONLY the Coralife bulbs can be used because of a little thingy in the bulb that "self ignites" so no other brand of bulb could be used...they only make 10K bulbs.
    I have GFCI outlets and every time the unit fired up it tripped the circuit. So I purchased a Master controller from Coralife (which stopped working after 3 months) to control the light and sort of over ride the GFCI so the light wasn't directly plugged into it.
    Then, 4 days after the warranty of 1 year expired, only one side fired up...the right side was dim for some reason, so I replaced the bulb with a new Coralife one...still very dim, then I smelled something burning. Okay so now that side has a short and that side won't work at all. BIG SIGH...I unplugged that ballast then I moved all my corals to one side, and then purchased a T5HO unit and the Coralife Elite now resides in my garage.
If you want to try and rewire that side and want it...contact me with a PM. You pay to ship it.
LOL...After all that I see it's a thread from 08...

Yeah, a lot of wasted words there :) I was following up my post because it came up when I was doing a search on something related to it (see the 12' post above). Anyway, sounds like some weird stuff with your light. I got him in 08' and it has been flawless since. Never had to replace a ballast and just my lights once a year to stay strong. I swapped the Coralife ones out within a few weeks and have gone to a few different brands but never and issue and never 10k. I just 'test installed' the new electronic ballast to one light and it powers on FAST and BRIGHT! I wanted to test it before I removed all the wires, rerun everything, then put it all back together. Now I now it works, now the fun begins!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind77 http:///t/343566/coralife-aqualight-elite-any-good#post_3496367
Yeah, a lot of wasted words there :) I was following up my post because it came up when I was doing a search on something related to it (see the 12' post above). Anyway, sounds like some weird stuff with your light. I got him in 08' and it has been flawless since. Never had to replace a ballast and just my lights once a year to stay strong. I swapped the Coralife ones out within a few weeks and have gone to a few different brands but never and issue and never 10k. I just 'test installed' the new electronic ballast to one light and it powers on FAST and BRIGHT! I wanted to test it before I removed all the wires, rerun everything, then put it all back together. Now I now it works, now the fun begins!
Yes, they blamed the bulbs, but really it was just a garbage light.....If I had grief with just one Coralife item I would say I had just got something made on a Monday by a hungover worker...but I had a Coralife skimmer, master controller, and 3 different sets of lights...all but the fluorescent lights were a waste of my money. I won't buy that brand, in fact you couldn't give me anything made by Coralife....Yours works great, seems to me you got the rare find in the pile of manure, Congrats...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/343566/coralife-aqualight-elite-any-good#post_3496382
Yes, they blamed the bulbs, but really it was just a garbage light.....If I had grief with just one Coralife item I would say I had just got something made on a Monday by a hungover worker...but I had a Coralife skimmer, master controller, and 3 different sets of lights...all but the fluorescent lights were a waste of my money. I won't buy that brand, in fact you couldn't give me anything made by Coralife....Yours works great, seems to me you got the rare find in the pile of manure, Congrats...LOL
Honestly the light is pretty basic, not much to it. Just power to the bases and that is it. A good reflector and everything works fine. I have taken mine 100% apart a couple times now, honestly the heart of these things are the ballasts. If they fail so does the light. I wonder if you got a bad combo of them. I have not bought any other 'coralife' things, I have seen them but other items have better reviews. As for a light all you are doing is supplying power and reflecting it, if that can be done all is well.
I will say with the new ballasts (everything back in place) the lights have gone from blue to white and are BRIGHT! I feel like I need to get 20k's to get where I was before. I was NOT expecting that. That is a ballast thing though, not a fixture thing.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind77 http:///t/343566/coralife-aqualight-elite-any-good#post_3496395
Honestly the light is pretty basic, not much to it. Just power to the bases and that is it. A good reflector and everything works fine. I have taken mine 100% apart a couple times now, honestly the heart of these things are the ballasts. If they fail so does the light. I wonder if you got a bad combo of them. I have not bought any other 'coralife' things, I have seen them but other items have better reviews. As for a light all you are doing is supplying power and reflecting it, if that can be done all is well.
I will say with the new ballasts (everything back in place)
the lights have gone from blue to white and are BRIGHT! I feel like I need to get 20k's to get where I was before. I was NOT expecting that. That is a ballast thing though, not a fixture thing.
LOL...If the light was so good, why were you taking it apart and replacing stuff?

Mine is in the garage because I CAN'T rebuild the light...and if it worked right, I wouldn't have to, and neither would you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/343566/coralife-aqualight-elite-any-good#post_3496404
LOL...If the light was so good, why were you taking it apart and replacing stuff?

Mine is in the garage because I CAN'T rebuild the light...and if it worked right, I wouldn't have to, and neither would you.

Why do you assume anything was wrong with it? The light did not have lunar lights, so I took it apart and added them. I knew it did not have them when I bought it and the $500 jump to the next light was not worth it just to get lunar lights when they can be bought and installed for $30! I can see you are still 'hurt' and frustrated from your experience but the light is easy to fix and easy to rebuild if you needed to. These things do not have circuit boards and tons of connections, you could have a faulty crimp or a bad base. Things things days, does not matter what you buy, are never 100% perfect. I did not 'have to' take it apart for the new ballasts, I'm sure all I needed to do was cut the old plug end and splice the new end on, but not being an electrician I did not know the best connectors to use so I figured I would just do it the 'right way' since the new cord is fully shielded and run the length.
ebay or craigslist the light, I'm sure someone can get it back up and running quickly, and you will get it out of your house!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind77 http:///t/343566/coralife-aqualight-elite-any-good#post_3496418
Why do you assume anything was wrong with it? The light did not have lunar lights, so I took it apart and added them. I knew it did not have them when I bought it and the $500 jump to the next light was not worth it just to get lunar lights when they can be bought and installed for $30! I can see you are still 'hurt' and frustrated from your experience but the light is easy to fix and easy to rebuild if you needed to. These things do not have circuit boards and tons of connections, you could have a faulty crimp or a bad base. Things things days, does not matter what you buy, are never 100% perfect. I did not 'have to' take it apart for the new ballasts, I'm sure all I needed to do was cut the old plug end and splice the new end on, but not being an electrician I did not know the best connectors to use so I figured I would just do it the 'right way' since the new cord is fully shielded and run the length.
ebay or craigslist the light, I'm sure someone can get it back up and running quickly, and you will get it out of your house!
The thing weighs so much and with the 3 ballasts boxes, the cost of shipping is a big downfall. How could the lunar lights require all new cords to the ballast?
I disagree about nothing being perfect. My T5s work perfect, as does my Octopus skimmer, my Aquaripure filters, My JBJ ATO, My Phosphate combined carbon reactor, my little canister filter, and Whisper overflow filter... all work 100% perfect....My equipment list seems endless, but they all work as they should right from the box.
I'm not a handy person, and I have bad arthritis in my hands, so screwdrivers are difficult to use. I do have a ratchet one that doesn't require too much twisting, but Miss. Fixit I am not. I purchase new equipment to avoid the need to fix it and that's what I expect. I know that sometimes things do come damaged from the box, or the assembly worker must have had a bad day when my gizmo was made...but honestly every Coralife item I have purchased in the last 5 years has had problems....every single one of them.
Coralife has gone out of business, so the equipment being sold are the refurbished rejects, damaged or returned items. Nothing new is being made. I strongly suspect that's what the problem is. A company (I don't recall the name now) purchased their inventory and sells it off much cheaper than they originally cost. You can purchase a MH Elite version, the top of the line for Corilfe and only pay the cost of a T5 at around $450.00 to $500.00...back in the day when they were up and running that unit cost over $1000.00.

You have the BIG version, I have the 48", the light fixture is no heavier than any other, actually probably as light as most high powered ones (excluding the LED's now). Sure the ballasts do weight a lot, but normal for the magnetic ones. You really should Craigslist it, no shipping, and some other person will pick it up for their tank or some other kind of activity that people use these for. Either way I am sure it will go fast!
If I was in the market for a new light today would I get this one, I doubt it, but back in 08' for the amazing price, what it offered and what else was against it, it was crazy not to get. I did a lot of searching for reviews and honestly I did not find a bad one back then on this light.
As for the lunar lights, remember I said it did not have them. So I had to purchase them, then installed them in the reflector, obviously running a power cord to them. How else would I get the lunar lights to work? Ha, maybe I could rig a mini solar panel inside the unit to feed back power to the lights therefor not requiring them to be plugged in and getting free power :)
Oh well, I am happy with this light. I will say I did have coralife electronic surge protector / timers which were great, but they stopped making them (kinda got water on the 2 I had). The sold the products to another company and I got 2 of theirs. They looked the same but were not as they both failed quickly.