coralife dual timer

cowfishrule

hey kids,
just need some input on the coralife dual timer. i was going to pick it up, but i have come across some bad reviews of it.
any input?

tim_12

I have the single timer and it works like a charm. Its just anoying to reset when the power goes out, which is a big problem here in the winter. There might be a digital one with a backup battery if you have that problem too.

mpls man

i've had 1 for about 3 years now, there are some problems with the times on the dial, with the little gray tabs sticking, maybe from salt kreep, ?? otherwise i have single timers for everything else, never had a problem with those. just my opinion.

gregzbobo

I recently bought a single timer one, I like it alot except I run a 12v ac adaptor to operate the fans in my hood, and those don't plug in at all when the plug next to it is occupied, I had to plug it into a short extension cord then plug that into the power center. Also, 4 constant power ooutlets may not be enough if you run lots of equipment, a short extension cord with 3 plugs in it would help, as long as you are darn careful and don't overload it.

sawsman

My Coralife dual timer quit working after about six weeks. I flipped the switch so as just to use it as a power strip. all outlets work in power strip mode but I've tried the timer dial a couple of times and it's shot! I've also heard of others having this same problem. I purchased a few cheap individual timers and have never had a problem with them, I think they are GE timers.
-sawsman

tyedyed1

dont buy it.....i bought one bout a year ago now and had problems from the start, luckly im in good with my lfs and they swapped mine out for another one. ive had it now for 3 or 4 months....same thing, nothing but problems. the thing works when it wants to. i give it two thumbs down.....
this is the style with the dial on it, im not sure how the digital one works but i guess im gonna find out cus the one i have now blows..... save your money til corallife gets it fixed...just my opinion....

pbienkiewi

i blew one side od my dual timer. My MH are 20k and the timer is rated for 10K. The other half works fine Luckily....

jamie814

Went thorugh 2 of them both got stuck the lights did not turn off. I now use the digital ones coralife just came out with a digital one, newtek also makes digital ones they never stick and will not loose time when the power goes out. Cost about the same also. They have 4 timer controlled outlets and 4 constant on outles on each of them.

jamie814

Originally Posted by pbienkiewi
i blew one side od my dual timer. My MH are 20k and the timer is rated for 10K. The other half works fine Luckily....
The Kelvin rating on the bulb has nothing to do with the power useage, thats the color of the bulb, a 20k bulb is more blue and 10k bulb is more yellow/white. The wattage of the bulb does however the timers are rated at 15 amps or 1875 watts.

tyedyed1

Originally Posted by jamie814
Went thorugh 2 of them both got stuck the lights did not turn off. I now use the digital ones coralife just came out with a digital one, newtek also makes digital ones they never stick and will not loose time when the power goes out. Cost about the same also. They have 4 timer controlled outlets and 4 constant on outles on each of them.

how long have you been using the digital? just want to check cause im thinking of trying that one, due to the crappy one i have now..... that doent shut off
unless if "feels" like it....

jamie814

Originally Posted by Tyedyed1
how long have you been using the digital? just want to check cause im thinking of trying that one, due to the crappy one i have now..... that doent shut off
unless if "feels" like it....

I have been using 2 of the newtek digital ones for 6 months now without any problems keeps time perfectly. I have not used the new coralife digital one but from what I researched the digital newtek and coralife timers are made by the same company, they just slap their own sticker on each, they are identical without the brand stickers on them physically and operation wise.

pbienkiewi

Originally Posted by jamie814
The Kelvin rating on the bulb has nothing to do with the power useage, thats the color of the bulb, a 20k bulb is more blue and 10k bulb is more yellow/white. The wattage of the bulb does however the timers are rated at 15 amps or 1875 watts.

it's a 175 Watt DE MH 20K