Coralife Lights Problem please help!

regaldragon

Hopefully this won't take too long, but for the sake of being helped in the best way possible, I'm going to explain everything going on with my lights. April of last year, I bought a set of the 48 inch aqualights from my local shop made by coralife (they have two 10,000k bulbs, two actinics, and 3 lunar LED's on it). Worked fine for a couple months, then a bulb went out. Bought a replacement but then just a couple months later the same 10k goes out on me.
I asked the owner of the store if I could get the whole lighting system replaced, and he said sure because the lights shouldn't be going out that often. So I got the new lights last week, bring them home and plug them in. Turning them on, one of the 10ks goes "POP" and smoke rises out of the top vent. I tried an older bulb but it didn't work. I figured both were completely dead so I went out yesterday to buy a brand new bulb. This bulb does not work.
I dont want to have to bring the week old lighting setup back to the owner for a second time, because I dont think that'd be fair. But I need that 10k to be going for my corals and such, and for nearly $400 the stupid thing ought to work right.
I have a feeling now that something is wrong with the wiring.
My question is this: does anyone here know how to fix one of these?

coryherb

take it back. the LFS isn't losing anything. They are returning them too. I think I looked at the same unit your using for my tank that I am building and decided going against it because it just seems like too much can go wrong with it. I would rather buy the lights etc piecemeal. And those units weren't cheap either.

ryan115

Regal i had a similar problem with my coralife light the other day. It was working fine one day when i left for class when i came back about 2 hrs later it was out. I went to my lfs and had them help me with it. Turns out it was the ballast that had gone bad and kept blowing the bulbs. So you can either find a way into talking your lfs into replacing it or just contact Coralife and they will replace the bulb and ballast within a week.