Coralife Metal Halide Question

harris28

I am converting a 75 gal. FOWLR tank to a reef. My tank dimensions are 17" from top to sand, 48" L and 18" W. I was wondering if this light set up would be good for this tank. I want to be sure it can handle hard and soft corals and clams. The system is a 48" Coralife Aqualight Pro. It has 2-150watt 10K double end HQI MH, 2- 96 watt Actinic PC, and lunar lights. Would this support my tank for the above corals and clams? The price is $550 with $50 shipping. Does this sound right or do you know of a different brand for a comparable price or a place to maybe get it cheaper? Thanks

peckhead

i have a oddysea mh but its 2x250 watt and it was alot cheaper and i heard that they are made the same now. maybe look into it? i really like mine and alot of people say the new ones are good

harris28

Last year I bought an Odyessea light fixture. 4 months later it died. All the wires inside were melted and touching. The lights I had were poor quality. As much as I would like to buy one for the money factor I refuse to buy one since I was a victim. I currently have a coralife fixture that I have had for 4 years now and the only thing I have done is change the lights. I know people have good to say about odyessea but since I had a sour experience with them I will never buy again until those lights are UL listed and by then the price will probably be the same as the others.

harris28

Also what about the temp of water. Will this create to high of heat because I do not want a chiller.

anonome

I have the exact light fixture, except 72" Aqualight Pro 150w Hqi . I run an open tank, and my water temp hasn't changed, but maybe 1-2 degrees. I keep it at 80, and in the middle of the day it sometimes goes up to 82, but never any higher. I love this light, best money I spent. I have a lot of different types of coral....my pictures are in the photography section...my 125 reef.

harris28

On my tank, my center brace is the plastic type. So if this light is 6 inches above the tank, will the metal halides cast a shadow on the tank? What do you all think about T-5? Can they support everything like SPS, LPS, clams, anenomes? I have read and read for hours but I can not come up with a good sound desicion on what really to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AAAARRRGGGG
I guess my real question is if I want LPS, soft corals, a clam, and an anenome what do I need. This is frustrating because I read so much that says PC will ok and some say T-5 will and other say you can only use MH.

J

jd_75g

I think MH is the way to go...you would be able to keep pretty much anything. Livestock that does not require the intense lighting could be placed lower in the tank. $550 + shipping seems like a great price for that setup - where?

fatcats

that is not enough for what you want to keep at least 2x250 w
try this Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight Pro, 2x250W HQI Lamp + 2x96W CF Lamps Sq. Pin + 4x1W LED
i got it for about $1000 w/o shipping