Coralife protein skimmer question!

dstoneburg

I have searched and searched and searched for the answer. I have a coralife, although not sure the exact model it came with my 80g and worked fine. The pump is submerged around 3inches into the water, according to many threads this is where it needs to be, although ive tried over levels.. Ive tried every position the red knob will allow. Adjusting the red knob allows me to control the hieight of the water in the skimmer, yet produces no bubbles no matter where its set. If I unplugged the small hose from the output line which runs to the pump it makes a very loud sucking noise but the skimmer works perfectly! So the main problem is when its setup correctly it will not produce bubbles. Removing that small hose from the output and letting it suck in air makes bubbles. Im in desperate need of help fixing this, I'm going insane over it! I'm not technical inclined or very familiar with how skimmers operate but it seems to be it needs to be getting air to create the bubbles? This is something mine is not doing/, at all.

wyvern

The air-inlet silencer and attached tubing might be blocked. Thats the the tubing you removed. The tubing is attached to the air inlet silencer that plugs into the skimmer body. Mine pulls out (i have the 125gallon model). Anyway try blowing through the tube and the inlet silencer to see if blocked. Good luck!

maxalmon

I hate to say this, I'm having the same problem with all 3 of my Coralife SS's. One of them I've actually given up on trying to get it to work. Your correct in the 3" pump depth.......Myabe you should contact Coralife direct and see if they have a solution

jimosburg

The small little barb above where the pump goes into the unit, try blowing in that, use a piece of tubing. I did this, it worke great. I bought a little ten dollar air pump and hooked it up to it. working great, creating tons of bubbles and foam and waste. This fitting is towards the top, right above th 90 where the pump goes in

yossaria

I had the same problem and it was very easy to fix. It turned out that the silencer (the part that connects to the air intake hose) had a blocked port. I called the company and they indicated that this is a common defect. To fix it, all you need to do is jam a needle into each port to pierce the blockage. I used a syringe needle. You should be able to determine if yours is blocked by blowing into the silencer through one of the ports. If air passes through easily, then it is not blocked. If air does not pass through easily then it is blocked and needs to be opened using a needle or awl-like instrument.
Good luck,
Yoss