Coralife ro/di problems

A

anmldr

Ok, as some of you know I just got my ro/di unit in yesterday. Had some issues with the tfc membrane last night but fixed that last night. Plugged it up to the sink last night and everything went fine, no leaks and water produced - yeah
Well, tonight I had this grand idea that I would flush the 10 gal that it says you must produce before the water is ok to use. So I plugged it up to the sink in the kitchen (where it was last night) and now there is only a small trickle of water coming out of the blue tube (and sometimes not) and there is a strange noise in the white canister that is on top.
Two questions:
1. Is this normal to get this water flow when just flushing the system out? I think I have pretty good water pressure so i didn't get a pump.
2. Is the sound normal??
Coralife pure-flo II - 4 stage, 50 gpd
thanks

A

anmldr

Everyone says this is a great model, that is why I bought it... there is a SMALL stream going into the bucket.. I might just need a pump?? I am not sure.

I have the same unit. Had it for years. This is normal. RO/DI units will produce a little over a gallon an hour depending on water pressure. Yes, they make some presure noise and yes the blue tube is slow and the red is fast. That is why people ask if their water bill will increase. Some models may produce more ... some less. This is all part of RO/DI. There is nothing wrong with the unit.

Also, save yourself the mess now. Pitch the cheap plastic adapter and purchase the nice copper adapters. The first time the fitting blows off your faucet you will remember these words (I learned the hard way
)

A

anmldr

OK thanks - So i guess it is fine.. where am i suppose to find those copper adapters..
Are you talking about the adapter that fits onto the faucet?? you didn't replace the plastic tubing did you?

A

anmldr

Is it also normal for the water level in the 3rd canister (i think the di one) to be slowly decreasing??

ryanbush

Originally Posted by anmldr
Is it also normal for the water level in the 3rd canister (i think the di one) to be slowly decreasing??
mine does that every now and then, but the third canister isin't a DI, the coralife units are just R/O and you have to add the DI membrane

dragonzim

Originally Posted by ryanbush
mine does that every now and then, but the third canister isin't a DI, the coralife units are just R/O and you have to add the DI membrane
Not true. You can get the coralife unit as a full RO/DI. I have this unit. 4 stages, 50 GPD. It is normal for the water to trickle out of the blue tube and come out quite a bit faster from the red tube. I also see the water level in the DI chamber go up and down.

A

anmldr

Yep, I have the 4 stage too, and the diagram said the di was in that chamber. It filled back up later on... I guess it is working fine. Just a little freaked out, never had one of these before and didn't know how they were suppose to act. I got about 3 or so gallons in about 1.5 hours so I guess that is right for 50 gpd.. It is going to take FOREVER to fill my 125 gal.....

stonewall2185

Hi I noticed you have the same RO System as me. The Coralife Pure-Flo II - 50 GPD 3 Canister RO System.
Did you have any trouble when you first got it? I just purchased it. and it isn't working properly. When the membrane is the the canister on top the water pressure backs up and makes my sink pipes leak. I do get some water out of the blue tube but very little. Maybe 3 cups of water in an hour. If even that.
Now when I take the membrane out the top canister the system works great.
Now i have it hooked up to a wash sink in the basement. Which i think it gets descent water pressure. But maybe it needs more. Ive asked around and someone said attach it to a garden hose. What do you have yours hooked up too?
any suggestions to make the system work better?? Please help

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall2185 http:///forum/thread/266070/coralife-ro-di-problems#post_3353551
Hi I noticed you have the same RO System as me. The Coralife Pure-Flo II - 50 GPD 3 Canister RO System.
Did you have any trouble when you first got it? I just purchased it. and it isn't working properly. When the membrane is the the canister on top the water pressure backs up and makes my sink pipes leak. I do get some water out of the blue tube but very little. Maybe 3 cups of water in an hour. If even that.
Now when I take the membrane out the top canister the system works great.
Now i have it hooked up to a wash sink in the basement. Which i think it gets descent water pressure. But maybe it needs more. Ive asked around and someone said attach it to a garden hose. What do you have yours hooked up too?
any suggestions to make the system work better?? Please help
Sounds like your membrane may not be seated into the housing correctly.

bang guy

What is the temperature of the water going into the unit? If it's too cold then the water will be too viscous to work properly.

A

adam57

I just purcahes this unit also. Mine leakes out of the top of the middle canister rihgt were the water goes into the unit. I have to turn my faucet way down and got about 30 gallons today total. Is that normal to have to crank the faucet down or should I be able to run it full blast. It also seem to be producing the same amount of water as it is dicarding.