Coralife SS 65gal placement in wet/dry

swfreak

I posted this in the equipment forum and no one responded, so I'm posting it here.
Just got a wet/dry system for X-mas and a week earlier I bought the 65gal SS. When it was on the back on my tank it seemed to work fine. Now that it is in the wet/dry tank it really isn't doing anything. I saw in the directions that the pump had to sit on the bottom of the tank for it to work, but I also read somewhere that you haev to make it intake hose shorter for it to work better. I also heard that there are updated instructions to set it up, but I can't seem to find them. If someone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

fishieness

i have one, but not in the sump. how high up is the water level? Try adjusting where it is sitting as far as depth goes.

swfreak

I have the water about 3inches above the pump. I'm trying a few things out, this weekend when I have a chance I'm going to get alonger hose so the pump will sit at the bottom. Right now I have an air hose and stone in it to see if that might help out some, going to try that for a couple days, if not I'll take out the stone. I really don't want to put it in the display tank, but if it comes down to it I will.

fishieness

putting an airstone in it will just probably make it worse at skimming. If the percent air is too large compared to the amount of water, the bubbles start to clump together. Now instead of having tons of little bubbles that gives tons of surface area, you will have a few larger bubbles with lesser surface area. A protein skimmer works by using the polar properties of water to bond with the non polar properties or the organic waste. So the more surface area on a bubble, the more stuff it picks up. But if the bubles are larger, even if they have the same volume, it will have a smaller surface area. So if you add more bubbles in there, they will probably join together and not do as well as without it.
What i meant though when talking about how low it is, you might want to lower the skimmer a little bit so the bubbles burst closer to the opening in the collection cup. When you say it isnt working too well. do you mean that it is just not collecting much? or is it all wet skimate?