Coralife Super Skimmer 65 question

beckto

I picked up a Coralife super skimmer 65 for my new 29g. Long story short, im using it HOB. The return line out into the diffuser box is set up correctly, but I am still getting microbubbles. Is this something that will go away after the "breaking in" stage. I am only about 6 hours into breaking it in, but all my live rock and powerheads are full of bubbles. I scowered google looking for tips, but I am at a loss. Found a few mods, with different media to go into difusser box, PVC with alternating slots, ect.. But this thing should work with instructions right out of the box...am i wrong?
Also, are microbubbles bad? I am pretty sure they are, but why?
I am currently cycling my tank with live rock.

05xrunner

yes there will be alot of microbubbles till it breaks in..they will not be as bad after its done with the break in.
Be careful with that thing...I use to have one and they like to just overflow out of the skimmer cup for no reason at all.

beckto

I've read that from a bunch of people. I have been watching it like a hawk for going on 7hrs now...Its my first skimmer, and I have to say its a BEAST.

chellie4u2

we had a issue like this and adjusted the flow going in by the pump by a knobish looking thing I just turned it a bit to adjust the flow and the bubbles stopped.. Also had a overflo problem and corrected that by cleaning the salt build up that was preventing it from getting air

beckto

Originally Posted by Chellie4u2
http:///forum/post/2952261
we had a issue like this and adjusted the flow going in by the pump by a knobish looking thing I just turned it a bit to adjust the flow and the bubbles stopped..
The instuctions say that knob is supposed to be wide open at all times, EXCEPT for the breaking in period...It slows down the intake, thus minimalizing the effectiveness of the skimmer. I would hate to do this, but I dont think the bubbles are very good either...prob not a huge deal right now though, seeing how I am cycling...right? Why are bubbles, Micro or not, bad?

05xrunner

no it shouldnt be wide open at all times..once the break in period is over..you will want to adjust the knob so the microbubbles are about just a little higher then the red ring that connects the cup if I recall

chellie4u2

I have had our skimmer about a year now and if i notice overkill on bubbles I still adjust the knob.. I haven't had and problems with doing this so far?? Im not sure why bubbles are bad but the sure do piss my tank off when they are there.
Good luck

beckto

Ok thanks for the input, I knew there would be someone here expierenced with this skimmer. I cant stand the look of this thing hanging off the back. I decided im going to try a diy overflow, then setup a sump. Would a sump made out of a 20g long give me enough depth for this skimmer? Seems this skimmer would be better suited in a sump.

bigleman

yeah, mine used to overflow sometimes, but i set the level really low and it has stopped a lot of it
after 4 months i would still get bubbles in the tank, but i picked up a roll of blue/white 1" thick filter stuff that i cut a couple layers of to fit the bottom inside the cup and it stopped them all

beckto

Originally Posted by bigleman
http:///forum/post/2952473
yeah, mine used to overflow sometimes, but i set the level really low and it has stopped a lot of it
after 4 months i would still get bubbles in the tank, but i picked up a roll of blue/white 1" thick filter stuff that i cut a couple layers of to fit the bottom inside the cup and it stopped them all
Seems this is the consensus among all with this skimmer... Guess I will try to mod it like you. Just kind of dissapointing it doesn't do its best right out of the box...

05xrunner

Originally Posted by beckto
http:///forum/post/2952464
Ok thanks for the input, I knew there would be someone here expierenced with this skimmer. I cant stand the look of this thing hanging off the back. I decided im going to try a diy overflow, then setup a sump. Would a sump made out of a 20g long give me enough depth for this skimmer? Seems this skimmer would be better suited in a sump.
when i had it I had mine in a 10g sump with like 6-7" of water and it was fine