Coralife Super Skimmer Issues

jubbin2001

So I have a SS 125 for my tank that has been running fine, and now all of a sudden I can't keep air going through the venturi line. I have cleaned it out (even the whole pump), changed air tubing, and bored out the venturi hole just a tiny bit and nothing works. Once I blow into the line whoa are micro bubbles everwhere, but after I stop, nothing. I had to hook up an old Wisper air pump just to keep the thing working. The intake pump itself is only 2"-3" below my water line so I know that's not the issue. Honestly I think it's just a crappy pump. So I am thinking about replacing the pump with something better. Right now I am thinking about getting a Ocean Runner PH2500 designed for their 1000 multi skimmer, or a Sedra 9000. Anyone have thoughts on this or ever change out pumps on their skimmer? I am at a loss right now as to what to do....I will probably be dumping it and get an Octopus or a Euroreef, but right now the funds only allow for a different pump. Let me know your thoughts.

veni vidi vici

Have you checked the impeller?
Also try taking off the silencer and see if that helps,sometimes the silencer will get clogged with salt,dirt.....

jubbin2001

Did it all, and still nothing. I know I got a good deal on it compared to retail...but I really wish I would have went a different direction
. Hindsight is always 20/20.

jubbin2001

Opinions on my possible solutions? I can't keep my air pump hooked up forever....it casues the skimmer to crash after a few hours and then I get nothing but water flowing through it.
1. Replace the pump with a Sedra 3500 designed for the ASM G2. I can get one for $90 brand new shipped
2. I was thinking if I was putting $90 towards a new pump, should I maybe limp along for a week and look at getting a Reef Octopus 150 NW? My LFS swears by them, but I don't know much about them.
3. Should I hold out a little longer and look at getting an ASM G2? I haven't heard much about ASM personally.
4. If the G2 is a possibility should I maybe go with a MSX 160? I have heard these are good skimmers and is the another "great" choice by my LFS, again I have no experience with them.
I have been trying to read as much as I can, but now it's down to crunch time, as I don't know how long my "patch" will work with my skimmer. I need some resove in the near future or I fear my livestock might end up suffering for it. I would love to invest in a Euro Reef, or an Aqua-C....but I just can't make it work....my budget is quite tight given our current economic plight, and I need a less expensive alternative for the time being.