Coralife Super Skimmer

browniebuck

Is this skimmer any good? I am looking for one for my 125 and was wondering if this was a recommended brand/model. I am looking at the 220 gallon model (overkill for the 125 as well as preparation if we ever upgrade). Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

olemiss

IMO there are much better skimmers available for just a little more cash. Super skimmers are pretty touchy and have a tendency to overflow when water levels change. You can mod them to alleviate this problem, but I'd rather have a skimmer work properly out the box.

I own one for my 30 gallon (the 65 gallon version) and don't really recommend it. for $100 it gets the job done... Bubbles are a PITA to get rid of, and some mods needed as said above to prevent some issues if you doin't want to come home to a small 10 gallon flood.. -.- early waterchange that week for me lol. Better off looking for a used skimmer to suite your needs thats better if you can. Might even come out cheaper

browniebuck

okie dokie...thought I was going to find one CHEAP...the bay had a used 220 gallon model that only has a current bid of $66...but if it is going to be a PITA, then I will pass. Thanks for the input.

reefkprz

they are a pain in the @$$ to tune and the microbubble problem never really goes away, as well as the fact that they are prone to overfilling causing flood issues if your using it HOB style.

olemiss

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3199318
they are a pain in the @$$ to tune and the microbubble problem never really goes away, as well as the fact that they are prone to overfilling causing flood issues if your using it HOB style.
Perfectly stated.

flower

I have the coralfe skimmer...it overflows, and it has constant micro bubbles. Don't get it.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3199241
okie dokie...thought I was going to find one CHEAP...the bay had a used 220 gallon model that only has a current bid of $66...but if it is going to be a PITA, then I will pass. Thanks for the input.
"Cheap" and "skimmer" are two words that just don't go together. I've never figured out how acrylic can be so pricey, but it is. You may find one on Craig's List; but (IMO & IME) the bay has way too much competition, and too much junk...like "Jebo".

J

jstdv8

I have a 125 super skimmer that i got with my tank. it was allready modded. I did have problems with it overflowing when i used it as a HOB system because as soon as some water evaporates it would just go crazy.
however...... if you are going to use it in a sump....... then the water level won't change and it will be fine. I dont have a single microbubble either. I havnt had any issues with it once i got my sump up and running

flower

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3199471
I have a 125 super skimmer that i got with my tank. it was allready modded. I did have problems with it overflowing when i used it as a HOB system because as soon as some water evaporates it would just go crazy.
however...... if you are going to use it in a sump....... then the water level won't change and it will be fine. I dont have a single microbubble either. I havnt had any issues with it once i got my sump up and running

Very true, it is th HOB that creates the problems with it, in a sump it would be fine.

usc932000

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3200230

Very true, it is th HOB that creates the problems with it, in a sump it would be fine.
Ditto. I too have used this Skimmer in both locations. But even in the sump it had to be adjusted. I finally said enough with this skimmer the day i came home and saw that I had lost gallons of water to my basement carpet after seeing the skimmer working well (so i thought) in the morning before i left for work. After that I happened, I took the skimmer off immediatley and had a Remora on the next day.
This skimmer had periods of working well for me. I eventually would have to adjust it from time to time and it became more of a hassle than it was worth. If you can get a better skimmer to start with get it!

gill again68

I have the 220 running in my sump. It is a PITA though. It is very sensitive to adjust. Once you get the sweet spot it seems to pull junk out like crazy. 1 false move and you have a cup of water.
All that said, wish I had a better one. Hey I am new so I get to make that mistake.

nigerbang

I have owned plenty of skimmers and I can say hands down the CSS line are the biggest waste of money out there, IMO.
Octopus makes some really good skimmers for the price range they are in.
Like posted above, Cheap and Skimmer dont go together in the same sentence..
Here is a few pics of my new skimmer..
Running for about 5 hours:

and some shots I just took.. These are after 2 days, I havent adjusted it at all.. I need to though..

jaxfishgirl

I have one in the sump, works great. No microbubbles and I don't even have baffles. Pulls a lot of crap out. But, I have only had it for 2.5 months so I guess time will tell.