coraline alage

Hi fuglyfish, When we had 5 watts per gallon I noticed some new growth, now that we have 10 watts per gallon Its going crazy Hard green , bloches of maroon, and all kinds of purple, some pink, its either the lights and the chems I add or its the new light and I can see it better, ,,,CYA...fixit :)

krazzydart

well the rule of thumb is ..... 3-5 watts per gallon but in a deeper tank you may want to go up to 10.... VHO is good,,, Halide are very good but costly, and you can get the twin tube type of 20,000k and be sure to get atanic(blue) as well for plant growth....

fishbone

I HAVE ALOT OFRED ALGAE NTHE BOTTOM OVER MY WHITE SAND SHOULD I LET GO OR MAINTAINCLEAN. iHAVE ASMALL CLEAN UP CREW BUT DOESNT SEEM TOHELP . :( null

burnnspy

Fishbone, thats not coraline algae. You have red slime(cyanobacter). It indicates high nutrient water, either nitrates or phosphates.
BurnNSpy

luke

Sammy is completely correct. I have the heaviest coraline growth on the sides of my 10reef near the bottom.
Luke

bluecrab

I've noticed since I put in a few more powerheads and raised my calcium level to 450, my coraline algae is really spreading. I have 4 watts per gal. in my 110 tank.