Coraline algae doesnt grow under MH??

ren9999

I have 2x 150 watt MH HQI double ended. on my 90 Gallon.
i have tested for a long time. ANY part of rocks that are not covered by some kind of shade wil have 0 coraline growth. Any part of rock that is under shade is totally purple.
So I take a piece of purple covered rock that was originaly under shade out into the open under MH light. after 2 weeks all purple turn white.
anyone else with MH and can get coraline to go??

murph145

wierd my coraline has done much better under my MH's i have 2-250W 20K DE's with another 130W of 10K PC's and its growin all over the glass too
what K bulbs do u have?

gold strip

I've got a 180 with 3 250 10ks, 12' of 50/50 vho and 12' of actinic VHO and all of my rock and the back wall are completely covered.

ntiller

I have a question about this. I recently bought some lr from a lfs and it has bright orange coraline (at least I think it is) all over it. I have never seen it bright orange before. I have purple and red but this one is like UT orange. kinda wierd. Has anyone seen orange before? Also I just ordered my mh's so I hope I don't lose any color. It makes the tank. I hand picked every piece for just that reason.

ren9999

well mine is losing color. does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? I have read other posts that people are saying their coraline is gone from MH as well. So is it me or is it just MH?? what about my MH that is so bad?

mr.125

Originally Posted by ren9999
I have 2x 150 watt MH HQI double ended. on my 90 Gallon.
i have tested for a long time. ANY part of rocks that are not covered by some kind of shade wil have 0 coraline growth. Any part of rock that is under shade is totally purple.
So I take a piece of purple covered rock that was originaly under shade out into the open under MH light. after 2 weeks all purple turn white.
anyone else with MH and can get coraline to go??

So is there sufficient coraline growth for your bio-load??...or is it just not aesthetically pleasing for you?
Do you have a canopy? Pendents? if so how far from water line? Rock to close to the top of water line maybe? :notsure:

dburr

Coraline does better in low lighting, this is very true. Keep up your alk and it will cover everything else.

kingspade

it looks like my coraline is turning white under my MH and ive only had them since wednesday, at first i thought iwas sand on the rocks but when i fanned the rock off a lot of white stayed??

kingspade

Originally Posted by dburr
Coraline does better in low lighting, this is very true. Keep up your alk and it will cover everything else.
how do you control ALK?

pontius

you should have no problem growing coralline with MH. I have almost 10 watts per gallon in my tank and I have no problem whatsoever.
what is your calcium level? this is the main thing.
if you want explosive coralline, this is what you need to do.......use Kalkwasser in the water you use to replace evaporated water. be sure to use it as directed. on the days when you don't use Kalk, add a 2 part supplement....either C Balance or the equivalent that Kent puts out. if you do this, I can almost assure you that you'll be scraping coralline off the glass in less than 2 weeks.

lubeck

How old are your lights; if they are new your tank will go through a mini cycle. and eventually your coraline will come back, when i got new lights most of my coraline stopped now it is growing faster than ever.
Listen to the moderators about the alk/ph/cal. they know what there talking about.

I have 500W on my 75 and it is all over the place. High, low, glass, rocks. The trick is good water, high calcium, high strontium and sopme strong water flow. You need to spread the spores as well. I think this is one key element a lot of people miss.

dburr

Their are different ways to control alk and calcium. Kalk, 2 part, baking soda/dowflake. Calcium is important, I just notice a bigger change when my alk slips.
Lubuck, what do you mean a mini cycle with a lighting change? That does not make sense.
Kingspade, The new lights burned your coraline. IT WILL COME BACK. Give it some time.

kingspade

Kingspade, The new lights burned your coraline. IT WILL COME BACK. Give it some time.
Well that sucks!! :notsure:

stsweene

like dburr said, you shocked it sort to speak, MH are very strong and unless what you put in your tank is accustomed to being under a MH you need to slowly aclimate it to the MH.