Coraline Algae

kmc

I have heard that coraline algae is a good thing. It has covered the back wall of our 29 gal biocube which I am fine with. However, it is starting to grow in the curved glass front corners of the tank. It is difficult to scrub off. Any suggestions on how to keep it in check would be appreciated.
Thanks

earlybird

It is good because it looks pretty and it is hard for nusiance algae to take hold on top of coraline. As for keeping it off the walls you have to scrub it but a lot of people just leave it (on the back).

chadman

i leave it on the back and sides of my tank and use a razor blade to scrape it off of the front....

darthtang aw

If you run a mag float scraper over the front of your glass daily this won't happen and will only take a minute.

zeroc

yeah, as long as you do a quick daily mag float cleaning of your glass nothing with have time to take a strong enough hold to make it a problem to get it off.

thud

Use a razorblade to scrape it off the front, this will leave the coralline spores floating in the water so that it can attach to another surface area and grow (more coralline!)
But absolutely use a NEW blade and DO NOT scrape if you have an acrylic tank.