coraline algae ?

jmrents

Just wondering about the typical build-up of your coraline algae.
I average a water change every three weeks now, instead of two, to coincide with the algae scrape.
It really surprises me how fast it seems to grow on my glass.
My tangs love it when I scrape because of the treat they get, they start munching as soon as it comes off the glass.
So, are you all seeing a fast buildup of coraline algae?
I know this applies to the mature tanks out there.
By the way, I am not adding anything to my tank, I figure
why if I am seeing the results.
My corals, inverts (proud papa of a recent BTS split), and fish are all doing superb.
I am curious to see how things go this summer, as I always see a little decline in growth when things get hot.
But that's another subject.
Does the coraline algae build up faster once it has been scraped from the glass?
How often is everyone removing it from their tanks?

nycbob

yes, coraline algae will grow faster the more u scrape it. by scraping it, u r seeding the tank.

zoie2

It drives me crazy!! I scrape it off the glass almost weekly.
So how do you get it off your glass without scraping it?

goinbroke

i cant get coraline to grow on my glass if i wanted to! i get it all over the rock and overflow and powerheads but not on the glass! i always thought i was unlucky NOT to have it growing on the glass.
seems like it's a pain if you do!

chardo

Is it safe to scrape it off the overflows? I have years of buildup there. What should I use? I use a scrubber sponge on the glass, and a razor blade if needed. Overflows are plastic, so I would think razor is out, but scrubber is not strong enough.

zoie2

I had too much on my intake and I wasn't getting enough water in the pump chamber to cover the pump so I scratched it off with my knife. B ut i didn't try scraping the whole back. I didn't care if it had layers unless it effected the tank.

big

Originally Posted by zoie2
http:///forum/post/3044139
It drives me crazy!! I scrape it off the glass almost weekly.
So how do you get it off your glass without scraping it?
Wow I have spots showing up most every day that I need to scrape

Someone else said they can't get it to grow on their glass. I sure do wish it did not grow on my glass..........

big

Originally Posted by saltwatercowby
http:///forum/post/3044626
so u said your tank needs to be mature to get it? I have a new tank a month old. How long until i start seeing it?
If all your prams are inline, especially calcium, you should be seeing it soon.
Here is a shot of what some call a seed rock put in my 72 bow in 06. It did speed the spread of the stuff faster......... Now days I wish the stuff would go away............

big

Originally Posted by Chardo
http:///forum/post/3044252
Is it safe to scrape it off the overflows? I have years of buildup there. What should I use? I use a scrubber sponge on the glass, and a razor blade if needed. Overflows are plastic, so I would think razor is out, but scrubber is not strong enough.
For the other question on cleaning.......On the plastic in the tank, that you can not remove, elbow grease. would be my best guess.......... If you can pull the plastic overflow covers out, A soak in white vinager followed by a good rinse works very well.........

mr.clownfish

Coraline algae is the best algae EVER! i have some growing on my rocks and very little on my glass and it seems to be increasing. i hope it takes over my tank on day. i will be very happy. it looks very good when there is A LOT of it.

detane

to spread it simply scrape it witha razor blade under water. if you expose the algae to air you will kill it and or bleach it...