Coraline algae

matt48

Is there a way to boost the growth of coraline algae in my tank its been set up a lil over a month and i only seem to get brown algae witch my clean up crew takes care of

lmforbis

You need at least a little in the tank to seed it could be a rock a snail shell covered in it. My first tank that I had running over 10 years never had coralline. My current tank started getting it after about 4 months. First it showed up on my power heads then gradually to rocks. You also need low phosphates and the correct calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.

Kristin1234

There are things that you can use, but I wouldn't. I used a bunch of purple up and it sent my calcium and alkalinity through the roof. Thanks lfs guy.

matt48

You need at least a little in the tank to seed it could be a rock a snail shell covered in it. My first tank that I had running over 10 years never had coralline. My current tank started getting it after about 4 months. First it showed up on my power heads then gradually to rocks. You also need low phosphates and the correct calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.
I got 2 rocks covered in it. I got at the local shop how do i check calcium,magnesium,and all that and how do i correct it

flower

I got 2 rocks covered in it. I got at the local shop how do i check calcium,magnesium,and all that and how do i correct it
Hi,

Right in front of a power head...use a hard toothbrush (new unused, not one that belongs to your mate or your siblings) Rub the dickens out of the blue stuff to send spores all over to seed the rest of the rocks.

matt48

Hi,

Right in front of a power head...use a hard toothbrush (new unused, not one that belongs to your mate or your siblings) Rub the dickens out of the blue stuff to send spores all over to seed the rest of the rocks.
Hey there ok so take a rock that has it on it and scrub it in front of my power head with new tooth brush

2quills

Agreed, although the lighting in my experience isn't nearly as important as simply keeping the water chemistry balanced at reef levels.

Get you a rock that has the color you want, scrape some off and sprinkle it around the tank or in front of your power heads. Pretty soon you'll be seeing it growing everywhere.

If phosphate is too high then algae growth will most likely out compete it for real estate.

matt48

Thank Yall so much you have been vary helpfull. How do I test for calcium, alkalinity ,magnesium and low phosphate Im curently testing for ammonia,nitrate,nitrite and ph

matt48

I guess there is a kit for it what should I do to make them at the correct levels after I test Ill get a test kit today.

lmforbis

I like salifert test kits for calcium magnesium and alkalinity.
To adjust I use the three bulk reef supply 2 part which is really 3 part. If you go to the bulk reef supply web site and look it up they have a video on how to mix it and use it. It is very helpful. They sell a starter kit for about $50 that has 3 sets of the pharmaceutical grade chemicals that are pre measured three mixing jugs a powder funnel and a couple measuring beakers. they also have a calculator on their web site that you put in your water volume, your current level and desired level and it tells you how much you need to add to get there. It also gives you instructions on how much you can add in one day so you don't change things too fast.

matt48

I like salifert test kits for calcium magnesium and alkalinity.
To adjust I use the three bulk reef supply 2 part which is really 3 part. If you go to the bulk reef supply web site and look it up they have a video on how to mix it and use it. It is very helpful. They sell a starter kit for about $50 that has 3 sets of the pharmaceutical grade chemicals that are pre measured three mixing jugs a powder funnel and a couple measuring beakers. they also have a calculator on their web site that you put in your water volume, your current level and desired level and it tells you how much you need to add to get there. It also gives you instructions on how much you can add in one day so you don't change things too fast.
Thank you i know them i watched alot of there viedos before i got this 75 gal still watch there viedos lol thanks bunches

I guess there is a kit for it what should I do to make them at the correct levels after I test Ill get a test kit today.
Use a good quality salt mix and do either 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly water changes. Unless you have tons of element demanding LPS and SPS corals you will get what you need through regular frequent water changes.

I use Aquavitro Salinity salt and the levels stay constant because of my water changes. I dont have to dose anything. As I stated above, you might have to dose based on what you have in the tank. I personally do not have to.

flower

Thank Yall so much you have been vary helpfull. How do I test for calcium, alkalinity ,magnesium and low phosphate Im curently testing for ammonia,nitrate,nitrite and ph
REEF test kits, what you have are the regular SW kits. Stay away from API, they read higher on nitrates and folks think there is a problem when there isn't. Salifert is good, as well as the SeaChem brand. Instant ocean is the easiest to read, but I found most places are always out of the refills.