coraline algea

ty1on73

I have increased my light output from 2 to 4.7 and after a week it seems my coraline algea is dying (fading). Is this normal...all levels are perfect nothing has change in the tank chemically...no new additions
55 gal w/ 260 watts....

ty1on73

Originally posted by ty1on73
I have increased my light output from 2 to 4.7 and after a week it seems my coraline algea is dying (fading). Is this normal...all levels are perfect nothing has change in the tank chemically...no new additions
55 gal w/ 260 watts....

meaning 2 watts per gallon (wpg) to 4 wpg

kyle10

my tank is pretty new and i have noticed that the coraline is growing in the areas they are shaded from thethe amount of light direcr light...so its probably the same thing as you increasing the amount of light...just a thought

lestregus

different colors of coraline grow in different light intensities...the dark reds seem to like shaded areas, the purples seem to like brighter lighting.. also it is very common for coraline to temporarily bleach after adding new lights, it should grow back although it may not be the same color when it returns...just keep your water params in check. hope this helps, good luck
oh yeah, i think the bright orange seems to like the shaded areas too

lutz493

I changed my lights around a little while back and I had some coraline bleach from the new light.
It is all regrowing and I am still getting extensive coraline growth.
Just keep your parameters up like somebody posted a few posts up, in the end you'll be happy with the outcome of the better lights.

ty1on73

thanks for the info.. the coraline algea that faded was at a higher position in the tank than the rest...falls inline with the majority's opinions.... everything else seems to be happy with the 24 hr. light... I have a brown tang that seems a little more spastic than before but only when I approach the tank...maybe he can see me better now...