Coraline Algea

dueces

I have been scraping coraline algea off of my glass for a few weeks and it keeps coming back. I have been doing RODI water changes weekly.
I know coraline algea is good but this is way to much of it. What can I do to slow it down?

farslayer

I'd sell bags of it on an

[hr]
site. It's normal, and anything you do to slow it down will likely affect your coral.

mmm33732

lowering your calcium levels will slow it down, but will also slow down sps and lps growth as well as some inverts. slightly elevated nitrate levels also seem to slow its growth, but either way, none are considered good options. if you are not keeping hard corals, try to lower your calcium. if you are keeping hard corals, next time you scrape it off the glass, siphon any surrounding water out as you scrape in hopes to not spread any spores.

maxalmon

What type of tank setup do you have, sps, lps, softie? If your don't have any of the stony corals, Id drop your calcium down to 375-390. check your dKH as well.
I have a weird theory that scrapping coraline algae actually causes even more to appear...
Every see those tanks where you can tell the guy just gave up on keeping the algae scrapped and there's like this little, round, clear area that looks like a viewing porthole into the tank....