coraline algee

skienlzer

When I buy new LR it is covered in purple cor. algee. I cant get it to spread, I add purple up every day, my calcium is like 450-500, I cant remember I just did the test tonight, and it was good, all my other levels are good, but it seems like the cor. goes away and my rocks turn brown. I really want things to start growing out of them. but nothing... Is the best way to get things going is to buy corals and frag them?

skienlzer

I have coralife. Aktinic on for 11 hr and day on for 6 now was 8, then luner lights on at late night time. they are both double in each side. dont know the watts,how do you tell?

jacrmill

usually the wattage is written on the bulb. i noticed you were in Indy. know of any fish stores? I go to uncle bills on east washington, if you know of any better, I am always open. Also calcium is not the only thing necessary for coraline algae to grow. it is the most important, but do you add anything else?

jacrmill

you might have stuff in your water that he doesnt. magnesium is necessary for coraline algae. Ive also hear strontium is important. You just may have good water in your area.

skienlzer

We had purple up, calcium and magnesium, polyox,essential elements and strontuum and molybdenum. We also have iodine but was told i shouldnt add it with shrimp. I am not sure if i should add all these according to the bottle instructions or if it is all to much. We have only been add purple up lately. Any thing else I should add or are sll these ok?? Oh I like safari Pet store and Specks in Avon, and uncle bills in greenwood, good prices and alot of selection and knowledge.

reefkprz

the simple answer is if you dont have a test kit for it to tell you your low dont dose with it. no exceptions, its too easy to overdose and not know it. how high are your phosphates? they can be a real inhibitor to coraline growth.

skienlzer

We tested last night, all levels are perfect. we have a 11x turnover plus a little 50 gal filter on the other side of the tank. we have double sided compact lights. 48" not sure on wattage.

aztec reef

then just keep water quality and it will just take time..Also you can grab a piece of the liverock that has coraline, scrape it and seed your tank.