Coraline Turn White

jimbo449

Last week I did about a 20% water change in my 90 gallon tank. The next day all the coraline algae at the top of the tank from where the water line was with the change turn white. Does anyone have any suggestion what could have happen here. I have done these changes many of time and this did not happen. Any help would be appreciated.:notsure:

G

gobyboy06

Did you expose it to ANY other kind of water exept saltwater?
How long was it out of the water if it was . . . . .

jimbo449

No I did not expose it to any other water other than the new salt water that I used to refill the tank. Time wise it was the normal time that it takes me to do a water change. I would say no longer than 15 to 20 minutes

ssweet1

I have found that if you let your alkalinity get low it will do that. Also keep your calcium up to 400. Carrie

dburr

The top dried out. You have to keep it wet or it dies. It will grow back just give it time.

jimbo449

My alkalinity was a little low when I did the water. Do you think that could have been the problem. I just have never had this happen before.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by dburr
The top dried out. You have to keep it wet or it dies. It will grow back just give it time.

Yeah that!!
It will grow back, but it will die again on the next water change if it dries out again.
I never keep any on the top 4 inches of glass.