coraline

spline9

I don't have any pics myself but here is Spline9's great pic of green coraline algae
Thanks! Hehe.
That green stuff has grown quite a bit since then. I had some purple stuff on the rocks before but it hasnt moved until recently. Its now getting thicker, brighter, and starting in new areas, too! Just like all things in this hobby, time/patience is key. It will eventually show up. Waiting is the hardest part. Heh.
Oh, btw: I have a 65w 50/50 PC bulb and a single 24w T5 sunlight for lighting in my 29gal tank. Not sure how light affects its growth since I see it growing well in both lit and shaded areas.
I also dont dose kalk. I occasionally just drop a calcium tablet in the sump, it dissolves in about 2 weeks. I'm guessing it helps but I dont think its necessary as long as you maintain your water.

thedraven

Ive had purple, burgundy, pinkish/orangish, green, and even white coraline (not bleached, but actual growing coraline). Ive heard different colors tend to grow better under different lighting conditions. Supposedly purple grows best under high light, and green under lower to moderate light. The green only tends to grow on the underside of my live rock (overhangs). Most of the colors I have came from an awesome batch of kaelini.

klongo

"Supposedly purple grows best under high light, and green under lower to moderate light"
Well that explains MY rocks - I have one small rock in a 10 gallon tank with low light - it's covered with a beautiful light green and pink coralline. The rock came out of my main tank, but there's no green in my main tank (or none that I can see).
I do, however, have orange, pink, burgandy, red. I'd love to see wome white!

nas19320

Originally posted by Rach4194
yes it does, have to do some stuff now I will post it in about an hour.

Really? I don't think I have ever seen any listing of the ingredients on Marc Weiss products.

zephyrlily

I have a coral rock centerpiece in my nano cube with mostly brown and some green algae. If I add a small piece of live rock with coraline (and scrub it) will the coraline start growing on coral rock? How long before it's noticeable?

nas19320

Coraline will start growing everywhere, glass, overflows, rocks, as long as you follow the basic recipe for coraline.

ccamaleon

i just like to share my coral whit u guy's i was reading and learning, one of u guy's say that never see a white coral soo i will like to share this whit u, is not the light, is not sand, is not flakes from the food....the colors that i got is like wine darkish, light green, pink, light brown and white i will teke late beter picks for u.

shoogieboo

so i just bought some rock from a guy thats covered with coraline purple so whats the secret to keeping it? as of right now i don't have any fancy lights on it
would i add calcium?