coraline

striper

what's the best way to get coraline to grow I have had my liverock over a year now and it looks the same as the day i got it. same thing with my polyps, and coral no growth.

jimmy g

Calcium....I keep my calcium at 420 and I get coroline like crazy. My rocks are a nice purple color.

fishamajig

I have just started my tank and I am getting coraline growth. I got the seachem reef calcium and got my levels to around the 400 range and the rest is patience.

agoutihead

hey guys have you ever heard of this "black powder" stuff? ive seen what it can do do a huge tank in 4 months only... and WOW, its unbelieveable... do you guys know anything about it?

solonfairy

i wrote this in the black powder thread:
If you have at least 3-4wpg (ok, anti-WPG people, gimme some slack on this one) all you need to do is keep Ca b/w 420-450 AND dkh b/w 9-11 at 8.2pH and you will get coraline growing out of your ears ... it is IMPORTANT to keep both ca and dkh up and BALANCED at these levels
I also found it useful to keep salinity up around 35ppt. You will need a refractometer for an accurate readging.
coraline is nice and it covers up some ugliness to the rock, but it becomes a pain later. once you see pink spots you also know that your tank chemistry is in-line and your corals should thrive (assuming the bad nutrients are being kept in check)
coraline is a calcifying algae. phosphate inhibits calcification. so if you are doing everything right and still no coraline, look at po4. It needs to be below .25ppm for best results. i belive natural sea water has po4 levels of around .07... a lot of young tanks have po4 higher than 2.0... thats nearly 30x the amount of po4 in natural reef water!!!

jserpe1947

Your comment about Phosphate being to high is a very good point. My Calcium and alkalinity have been in range now for over a year but I have never had the Corline alage. I have always had a problem with the Phosphate being around 2.5 I just was able to get the Phosphate level to 0.05 and I'm hoping that this finaly works.

striper

good info guys I do a10% water change wky with ocean water I get when i go fishing.I just got some calcium+3 from red sea and try that.