coraline

creative

I have a 125 gal reef with a 55 gal ref/sump, 220super skimmer,25watt UV sterilizer,1200gph main return pump, 4 penguin 1160 power heads, 440 watt VHO Actinic's
11 hrs per day, 850watts MH 5-6hrs per day. I don't seem to be able to grow coraline, what is wrong? I use C balance for supplements plus Iodine. If you can help please do
Thanks Todd
todd@creativebuilderserie.com

bigarn

How long has the tank been up and what is the calcium level of the water?

Very nice set up ....

Unless you're testing for it, be careful adding iodine.

oceana

also is there any coralline in there at all?? it wont grown on its own it needs to be introduced. for me it grows like a weed and i do nothing special.

acrylic300

I went to the LF Stores in the area and bought small rubble rocks with as many different colors of coraline that I could find.
The ones I didn't like I crushed and piled for later use in a little cave inside the tank. The ones I did like I placed around my base rock.
Now two months later tiny specs of pink, red, purple, green, and even some blue are showing up on the dead rock and back glass. I only have NO lights, my skimmer sux, I havn't added anything, and my tank is only turning over 2x an hour.
Calcium 430, PH 8.0, Alk 275, Nitrate 20
Also my hermit crabs where thick with coraline when I bought them, I suspect
they are helping.

creative

I do not check my calcium level
I do not add very much iodine only 3 drops per week
my PH is 8.0 my nitrate 10
I do have some coraline pink, red, green
I reset this tank from a previous setup about 1 year ago
I have been told to increase the hours of actinic light, I thought 11 hours should be enough. I was wondering about adding about 220watts VHO actinic to run 24 hrs/day. What do you think?
Thanks for the compliment on my setup, but I build stands and canopies for a living so I have that part of reef keeping pretty much down to a sience.
Thanks for your help
Todd

creative

1 more thing every Emperor has a taste for different things I am just careful and watch after I add something. If he nips it I move it to a smaller reef I have.

hagfish

I really think calcium is what you need to check for. My calcium is usually pretty high (500 or so) and I've seen softball sized rocks become covered in a month or two.
Also, you can get the coraline you have to release spores faster by scrubbing on it a little, maybe with a toothbrush.