Coralline algae

fishphreak

Is it possible to buy coralline algae? Or is there any way to get it to grow in my tank? Specifically maroon and purple coralline.

cprdnick

Yeah, buy some LR with that specific coraline already growing on it. Of course the growth would depend on lighting and Ca levels.

druluv

First make sure your water parms are correct to grow this type of algae.
Recipe:
High CA 400 - 450
High alk 4-6 meq
Low PO4 - > 0.02
Then it should start growing with the introduction of Live rock, sand or snail shells(Big Mex Turbo).

fishphreak

I have 110w 10k pc lighting would that work?
Getting the snails wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for all your help

druluv

I prefer to use actinics. When you are cycling your tank you can leave your actinics for 12-14 hrs. garf.org even leaves her actinics on for 24 hrs for about two weeks. Choice is yours. But I do believe that the std flo actinics could be better that pc actinics. I'm not sure, the room can better explain the good parts of PC lights.

nas19320

Start with a good source of coraline, then apply good flow and good Alk levels as coraline is moslty carbonate based along with low-no phosphates and nitrates and soon you will have coraline growing faster than you want. Your lighting will be fine.

nicky1.8t

im running 380 watts of vho 4 95 watt bulbs 2 10k 2 actink. and my calcium is in the 400s and i have lots of coraline groth. but it seems that the longer tank is up the easier it is to grow coraline algea

fishphreak

Thanks I will try that. I also have an actinic bulb that i can use in place of one of the 10k bulbs if necessary. I have a good bit more coraline algae than I thought I had. I have an out break of cyno right now so it was hard to see but there is a good bit more than I orgionally thought there was.
Thanks