Coralline algae

a&m aggie 04'

i think its more water chemistry than lighting. You need to keep your calcium up around 430-450 and you need to actually buy a rock with corraline already on it so that it can spread.
MD

r22wink

i agree aggie.. lighting is important thou.. i have alittle over 2 watts per gallon, and my coraline is very slowly coming along.. i am going to double that to 4 watts per gallon soon and that should help alot.!!..

oceana

in this case super high light may even be a bad thing. i get very dull purple coaline at the suface of my tank and it get brighter the lower you go. there are also more colors at the bottom. water quality introduction and Ca are the keys to good coralline

swfreak

I've been dosing my tank with PurpleUp and Kent's Super Buffer(checking levels) and ever since I started doing that I have seen dark purples, red, and some light pink colors. The thing that grows the most is the green coraline and that crap gets all over my glass, so I have to scrap it every couple days(real pain).

chipmaker

NO flourescent lights is more than sufficient for coraline.Keep the ALK, CA, and PH up towards the higher ends especially the ALK and CA and it should get off and running.it still takes a bit of time but if parameters are good, its just a waiting game......No other supplements necessary

swfreak

I tried the waiting game and only got green coraline. I have had my tank running for 10 months now and ever since I started dosing my tank everyonce in awhile I started getting color. I guess it's a personal preference. Although, I wish I had a calcium reactor. The guy at my local reef shop put one on his 300gal frag tank and within 3weeks the whole tank was purple.