Coralline Algae

cita_55

What are the best ways to build up coralline algae? I just started my tank about a month ago. Its a small tank only 10g. And I do have a fully covered LR with coralline that I brought from a frag tank with corals. Thanks for any advice.

dragonzim

Make sure your water levels are spot on, especially calcium. You can take a new toothbrush and scrub the existing coraline with it to get some spores off the rock they are on and into the water. They should then settle on other surfaces and hopefully start growing.

J

jstdv8

Dont forget to turn filtation off when you scrub so that it doesnt jsut get sucked out

cita_55

thank you so much. How about how long will it take to start growing to where I would notice it?Any idea?

noah's nemo

And plain ol luck ,if you ask me.Been 2 plus years ,and i'm just now getting dime sized blotches of it here and there.

cita_55

o wow well i hope i have some luck haha. the algae that i'm gettin now is the yellow algae but my snails are eating that up and i notice i believe its called red slime algae.

bender77

Coraline grows like a plague in my tank. I don't have to do anything. I have 2 newer tanks and I started seen growth within a month or 2

E

eric b 125

i couldnt grow coralline to save my life until i got some decent lights over my tank a month ago. now, the base rock ive had for about a month and a half is starting to get colored up. theres a product called purple-up, or you could just dose kalkwasser if you're patience is wearing thin.

big

Decent lighting, a little bit somewhere in the tank to start with, good levels of calcium and TIME...........
Here is the shot of mine I always post when I see someone wants the stuff....
The day may come when you just may hate the stuff,,,,,

cranberry

There is no one recipe for coralline.
I have 12 tanks. The coralline grows best under the ones with PCs. It has become a little worrisome in a couple, in that it's soon going to reduce my available biofiltration. One of the MH tanks maintains a nice bit of coralline, the other none at all.
I can't tell you what my calcium is. I use IO salt for the most part. Buffer the RO/DI water.
Originally Posted by bender77
http:///forum/post/3177734
Coraline grows like a plague in my tank. I don't have to do anything. I have 2 newer tanks and I started seen growth within a month or 2

cranberry

Best to avoid the big boys if you want to grow coralline. They can chow their way through this though green variety

cranberry

[list type=decimal][*]100g volitan tank.
[*]60g frondosa tank
[*]40g mantis tank
[*]28g wasp fish tank
[*]24g scorp tank
[*]12g barnacle blenny tank
[*]18g seahorse tank
18g baby lionfish tank
25g fu manchu tank
25g filefish tank
50g seahorse tank
3g pico angler tank
28g blotched anthias tank.
[/list type=decimal]
Oh HECK!!! That's 13! How did I get to 13!
oh ya...... and a FW ghostshrimp tank.
What I'm spending alot on is the eletric bill. I have 6 chillers running.....

cranberry

I've been practicing. I take really bad FTS. I was thinking of doing a video of them all... just got a new camcorder.

cranberry

You won't be getting pics of the tank above with all the nasty green coralline growing everywhere. Haha! The waspfish in that tank are now swimmers and I don't enjoy putting my hand in there much.... i can't wait to transfer them to the 60g where things aren't so tight.