Coralline Algae

aarone

I see pictures posted on the site of beautiful LR with purple corralline all over it. I have had my tank running for about 4-5 months. Is there anything i can do to induce better corraline growth?

S

simm

Kalkwasser drip I believe. Also reef vital DNA worked great for me.

clarkiiboi

Whats been skipped is the question: Do you have ANY rock that has any coraline growth on it? If not, it will not spread due to nothing being there to spread. If so, what are you doing to try to promote the growth?

jja

I had very minimal growth on my lr when I started and I use coral-vital by (marc weissI think) most stores carry it. Now my rocks are almost solid purple,even my snails and hermits have corraline on their shells. In my opinion it is a great product. It also is supposed to help prevent ich. While I don't know about this, I can say I have never had it.

S

simm

I agree. After a couple of months of Reef Vital my coraline bloomed.

jja

Simm- I just switched to reef vital. What is the diff.? My lfs just said it was a higher grade. I figured I would give it a shot because I was so happy with the coral vital.

S

starfishjackedme

Without Metal Halides - Your Coraline will never take off like it will with MH. There is just no substitute, i don't care how great your VHO's are. I have done it both ways and MH is by far the growth factor.

jja

I have pc's and my lr is solid purple! I'm sure it helps but it can be done w/o halides.

jja

It may not grow like your mh's but If I am correct that wasn't the question. I doubt he is looking to buy mh's just to grow corraline. All I am saying is that it can be done without spending all that $. I have pc's and to be honest I have all the corraline I want. It did not take long at all with coral vital. In fact, I started fowlr and had 40 watts of fluorescents and had great corraline growth.

cowabonga

i second that reef vital stuff...plus the deep purple algae thrives in low lite tank...the color gets lighter and varies when the amount of light increases

nm reef

Its been my experience that coraline growth is dependent on source(some initial coraline)/circulation/stable water levels/and old fashion patience.
Lighting plays a minor role...and additives such as the Mark Wiess products do little to nothing. I have massive coraline in both my systems...one with only 70 watts of NO lighting.
I've found that a quality source of initial coraline(quality LR with coraline coverage)...adaquate circulation...and stable levels of calcium/alkalinity will eventually spread coraline.The walls of my refugium are covered in the stuff...and I don't even have much in the way of LR in them...and the lighting is basic NO shop lights with 50/50 bulbs. I have found that lighting plays a part in the type of coraline...lower light developes darker shades...intense light developes lighter more colorful types...but coraline will grow under any type lighting if there is a source and circulation and stable paramiters.

S

simm

Originally posted by jja
Simm- I just switched to reef vital. What is the diff.? My lfs just said it was a higher grade. I figured I would give it a shot because I was so happy with the coral vital.

Not sure about the difference in that and like kalkwasser or other products. thats all iv used. I also have to disagree with the MH. On my 100 gallon with NO's adding the DNA my coraline took off and is still blooming. DNA is a little more expensive compared to other stuff. If Im not misteaken reef DNA has some coraline in it. Im sure MH's will help it but not a must. Also you can scrape the coraline that you have and let the current circulate it through out the tank and seed.

bang guy

Originally posted by starfishjackedme
Without Metal Halides - Your Coraline will never take off like it will with MH. There is just no substitute, i don't care how great your VHO's are. I have done it both ways and MH is by far the growth factor.

This is just simply wrong. Of all the established reefs I've seen, those with MH have the least amount of coralline. I know this is just anecdotal but in every case I've seen the lower intensity light has more coralline.

jonthefb

i too disagree with the statement made by starfishjackedme, i have a 20 gallon tnak with pc and have coralline spreadign liek wildfire!its all abotu watermovemnt a good source of the initial algae, cal/alk levels and as NM said, patience. mY tank's been set up for just over a year now, and i really didnt develop good coralline growth until about 8 months after setup, with teh addition of seachems reef complete and reef carbonate every other day (and i woudl always overdose these two in equal parts!)
good luck
jon