Coralline Algae

flydan

Hey,
My reef tank has been running for over two years with moderate success. (Mostly good, some not so good.) Anyway, my question is: Has anyone experienced layers of Coralline peeling off the glass sides in small sheets. I keep the front scraped clean, but I let it grow on the back and about 1/2 of each side. Over the last month or so I've had areas that pulled away from the glass and fell off in large pieces. Anything I should be concerned with? Water peram's are stable.
Dan'l

sal t. nutz

Yes, be very concerned. You should scrape all the coraline off that you can, and mail it to me for examination. You could be encountering "Excesivious Coralinious". I will put those scrapings in my tank since my tank has been diagnosed with "Non-propegatorius Coralinious" and this will solve your problem. But act quckily before it's too late.

flydan

Hey,
You're very funny. Seriously though, is it normal to peel off like that on it's own? Just something I've never seen or read about on this bb.
Dan'l

sal t. nutz

I'm sure it's just grown too thick and heavy for a vertical plane. I'm sure it can only adhere to itself within reason. On rock it has a lot of texture to adhere to, glass is just a smooth vertical plane where gravity is pulling it off, as apposed to on a rock where gravity actually helps it adhere.

flydan

Hey,
Now that's an answer I can live with.:cool: As a reward should I bag up some Halymenia sp. for you to go along with the coralline?:D
Dan'l