coralline algea growth

nikefutbol

I just bought a orange ricordea mushroom attached to some lr with coralline algae covering it, the tank it was in at the LFS was covered in coralline, how do I spread this to my tank??? Should I use an additive like Purple up or something like that?

bender77

There are all kinds of ideas on how to get it to spread. I just give it time. My tanks are always covered in no time with no help. I've grown to not really like the stuff

robertmathern

I agree just keep calcium levels in check and it will take off in time. The problem with purple up is your adding calcium witch will put the levels to hight if your keeping up on water changes witch throws off other params. Not worth it in my book but then I have never used it either (never had to). Just keep up on water changes ad it will come in time with or with out purple up.

bla403

just posted this in another thread:
I had coralline growth on 1 rock in my tank and it was spreading on that rock but not to other ones in the tank. I dosed a cap of purple up (55 gal tank) every other day till the small bottle was gone (I think 8 oz) and now I have coralline growth on all the rocks. Like someone said, check you calcium and other things when dosing.
The coralline growth really took off when I got my nitrates and such in check and below 10ppm. I added a gat valve to my octo skimmer and started caring for my macro algae in my skimmer (trimming) and that helped lower the bad numbers. Once those were low my coralline growth took off. I do 10 gallon changes each week also.