coralline... yes or no?

fishieness

Im starting to get coralline algae on the sides of my tanks. Im wondering if i should leave it on the glass or not. Im just wondering what the benifits and consequenses are. Or course im still leaving it on my live rock and all.

caz

Me too... I continue to clean the front and sidesof my glass obviously... but I'm always hesitant to clean the back or even sides. I like it to look fresh and clean. What's best? Does it even matter?

funkyman

It's strictly visual, and comes down to personal preferance. Coraline growth is a welcome sign of a healthy and established tank.

kdfrosty

I've started to get coralline growth as well. I've decided to keep only the front and one sides completely clean...It has to do with personal preference and main viewing angles. Personally, I like the way that coralline looks.

kaotik

i strive so hard to get it to grow on my rock that when i get it on my glass I am extremely happy!!! I usually just leave it on the back though since you cant see through it anyways and I clean my front and sides.
i agree...personal preference.. congrats though...good sign that its growing!! :D

fishieness

thanks for all the replies!! i wasure sure if it was just preference or if there were any benifits! Thanks again!

blazehok68

not to hijack this thread but what is the easiest way to get it off of the glass?? i haveit all over my tank and its starting to grow on the front. my mag float just isnt cutting it anymore.

krishj39

I primarily used the Kent scraper (make sure you get the one with the metal blade as the plastic one made for use on acrylic is useless). To get the really tenatious algae I'd use a razorblade. You can buy a cheap plastic piece to put the blade in at a hardware store. The razorblade fits in this plastic handle and it's sold with the purpose of scraping paint splatter off of windows. With these two things, the job a snap.

vlondi

I actually went and bought a set of painter's spatulas (I think that's what they are) from Wal-Mart for less than $1. They are yellow plastic and do the job really well; I also got 4 sizes in the set so can clean just about any size area. If you have kids in the area these won't cut them like a razor might. A must have in my opinion.

dragonboy

I like the coralline growing in the back of the glass although eventually it consume up a lot the calcium but I rather have purple than green algae growing on there.

dreamreef

Another hijacker.... does anyone know if there is a product or way to get coraline to grow. I have a little, and would love a lot more

daytonaree

If anyone interested coraline grows the fastest under vho lighting for some odd reason. I used about every type of lighting out there and still keep going back to the vho's. Well my 2 cents anyway

eoalulavis

I believe that you can promote its growth by using a toothbrush, gently brush what coralline you have then brush parts of the rock beside it. I believe this will spread the coralline spores and essentially "seed" growth.