coralline

evanjah

cant get coralline algae to grow. I have 96w power compact light 10000k day 7500k actinic. I have introduced new spores nothing sticks. used liquid calcium and iodine. Purple up i have also tried to no avail. Also, i just bought a and b balance calcium and alkalinity additive. Any ideas? I need help

ca161406

same with me. i have some pink hard blobs growing on my rocks but i dont think its coralline. hmm were in the same boat i think

evanjah

i just had them checked everything except ph. Calcium is like 20pts high and nitrates are low so any ideas

saltygerman

Originally Posted by evanjah
http:///forum/post/2857157
cant get coralline algae to grow. I have 96w power compact light 10000k day 7500k actinic. I have introduced new spores nothing sticks. used liquid calcium and iodine. Purple up i have also tried to no avail. Also, i just bought a and b balance calcium and alkalinity additive. Any ideas? I need help
Instead of investing in all these additives my first suggestion would be to invest in a test kit so you don't have to rely on others to test your parameters. Just my opinion.

chasar

I am not an expert at this, but I think you need to check your PH. If I am not mistaken adding the products such as Purple Up is a waste if the PH is high. You will see a lot of difference in opinion on adding calcium and such and if it benefits. How many gallon tank is it? How mature is the tank? I believe the best way is to add rock with good coraline growth and supply the correct lighting for it to grow and spread. It does take time however. IMO

tdog7879

Originally Posted by evanjah
http:///forum/post/2857288
should i stop the other crap and just use kalkwasser
i would say yes to the purple up. Im not a expert but you might want to get better lighting. Is it a reef? The kalkwasser will maintain your calcium levels but if there no corals then i wouldn't worry about .how often do you do waterchanges? what type of salt? I use reef calcium advantage by seachem the powder form once a week cause i use insant ocean which has low calcium and then drip the kalkwasser for freshwater topoff.

tdog7879

here is a before and after shot of my tank its about 2months different and only i have been drip kalkwasser for about 3 weeks

it really a after and before

ophiura

Seriously. YOu MUST keep a very close eye on pH, alk and calcium dosing all that stuff. YOu could be playing russian roulette if you are not and just continue dosing. I definitely wouldn't dose iodine - at least not without testing for it.
What is your magnesium level, just for kicks?
What are your inhabitants in the tank?

tdog7879

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2857554
Seriously. YOu MUST keep a very close eye on pH, alk and calcium dosing all that stuff. YOu could be playing russian roulette if you are not and just continue dosing. I definitely wouldn't dose iodine - at least not without testing for it.
What is your magnesium level, just for kicks?
What are your inhabitants in the tank?
i don't drip the kalk everynight just everyother night and i check my ph and alk all the time my mag 1250 i think????? my ph 8.2-8.4 my alk is 3 meg. Also when i drip kalkwasser it take about 5-6 hour to drip one gallon.

1990jpyj

i dont think lights have anything to do with your problem. i had some chepo flouresent lights on my tank for 2 years and it grew everywhere. i had some nice flow and a higher temp(81-83) i was always told temp was a big factor in the growth(correct me if i am wrong please cuz i dont really know if thats true)
good luck