Corals & Anemones

dawman

No , Anemones are not reef safe . Anemones can move around quickly and destroy any coral that is in its path .

lexluethar

Anemones are not considered reef safe. Reason being that they are mobile and will move around. They move slowly, but overnight can go from one side of your aquarium to another. While corals wont explode upon touching an anemone it will irritate them to the point of killing.
If you put any corals in with an anemone be prepared to move the coral around.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ashersmom
http:///forum/post/2590412
What is safe with anemones?
Live rock...
Seriously there are 2 things that must be known when or if you plan to have an anemone. First as stated anemones should never be considered reef safe. And secondly all anemones should be considered fish eaters.
That doesnt mean that we all dont roll the dice and play the odds, but should something happen knowing those 2 rules there should be no question as to why. Some anemones are far more preditory than others but that doesnt exclude any of them from the rule.

heatheryjoy

I woke up the other morning and my bubble tip had moved all the way across my 75 to the other side. (I was messing around with my power head the night before and I guess it didn't like the new flow pattern.) Anyway, it had to go over about 5 different corals to get to it's new spot and luckily it didn't harm any of them. I don't know how, but I guess I got lucky! I also notice my six line wrasse and cardinal fish will brush up against it once in a while and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. So I guess my point is that bubble tips may not be a potent as other anemones. I'm not an expert but if I had to choose one to have with corals I would go for a bta
Of course maybe I just got an easy going anemone too
But maybe someone with more knowledge will correct me as I'm just going by my observations.

lmecher

Second that, have had no fatilities from bts's. Who knows what tomorrow may bring. I feel in my particular case it is a risk worth taking. If I had extremely rare or valuable corals or fish that I treasured I would not keep an anemone in the same tank. It is a situation where you must gather information and after knowing the possible outcomes you make the decision. I hate hearing people whine after a making a hasty purchase because "it was so cute". I always double check what I hear from a LFS, too many (except the ones I know and trust) give bad advice so you'll buy. : )

brad pitt

u can get a rock anemone? but they are ugly. they dont move after they choose a spot. (most of the time)

shrimpi

LTAs dont move once they are happy. They bury in the sand and stay - so if you keep them happy.. they will keep put!
Jess