Corals attaching to rock?

kas2247

I eventually want to try some corals, but for now my tank is pretty much filled with fish, shrimp & hermits. I did buy one green ricordia from here about 6 months ago just because it was so cheap and I heard easy to keep and I wanted to try something out and see how successful it was in my tank. I don't have any sticky junk to glue it down yet, but it was attached to a tiny piece of rock that held it in place. It was doing fine, had nice coloring, and was growing a little bit. Well, about a week ago it disappeared. I moved some powerheads around and eventually it blew out from behind a rock, but it's no longer attached to the little rock that it was before. If I put it back in its original place, the tiniest bit of flow (like my cleaner shrimp sliding over top of it) knocks it off. I've heard you can put a small container over it for a few days to make them attach, but then how does it get light? What's the best way to get the little guy to stay on his rock?

spanko

You can use:
A rubber band looslely around the Ric and a rock, it will attach.
A pc. of veil like material around the Ric and a rock, it will attach.
Super Glue Gel will sometimes work, dry the Ric off on the bottom, put a gob of glu on and place it on a rock holding it their with a little pressure for 30 seconds to a minute. Sometimes they will slime themselves right off this though.
Get a small plastic container with some holes in it for water flow, put some small pcs of rock in it and the Ric.
Good luck, this is not a hard thing to do, it will attach. I have had luck with the Super Glue, and with the rubberband.

dkfloyd

What about if its already attached just to a little piece of rock and you want it attached to one of your big rock displays in your tank?

spanko

You have the best scenario, just put some super glue gel on the rock and attach it to the place you want it to stay.

kas2247

Alrighty, thanks a lot. I'll see what I can do! I was afraid being lost behind the rocks for a few days it might have died with no light, but it still seems to have a little bit of color and I'm hoping it'll come back as good as new once I get it attached.

kas2247

I've heard that you can, but will bump this for someone who actually knows something about it to answer.

alix2.0

yes, as long as it contains cyanoacrylate.

gel is the easiest to use, but regular will work too.