Corals for low light

jim672

Mushrooms don't need much light. Corals that are not photosynthetic like sun polyps and carnation corals would be fine (but you have to feed them by hand).
Jim

salty jeff

Right now I'm running 2.6 WPG. I want to add more light but my mushrooms (right now I have 8 different kinds on 6 big rocks covered) love it and my leathers are doing very well. The secret for my mushrooms was to start adding iodine. So as of right now I think I will hold off on getting more light. My LFS told me I could keep corals that need more light if I place them higher up in my tank.
Hope this helps.

jim672

Just a caution......regular water changes should provide all the iodine needed in a sw tank. Too much iodine can be toxic. If you're adding iodine regularly, be sure to have your water tested regularly for iodine so you don't over-dose.
I thought my mushrooms needed more iodine, too. I started dosing......1/2 the recommended amount weekly. I also do regular water changes. I read on this board that over-dosing iodine and be problematic and I stopped. My mushrooms really took off then!!
Jim

attml

You could always go with a few that require no light (non-photosynthetic) Sun Polyps, certain Gorgonians, Carnation Coral

leigh

Originally posted by Kipass4130
agreed, i dont dose iodine and i got more mushrooms than i know what to do with

always welcome to ship them to me :D

leigh

i'll take 'em any way i can get 'em!
oh, just checked out your website, very nice. (jeez, sorry to be hijacking this thread) but, i see you have a bubble coral right in the middle of things--my bubble coral always tries to sting/kill/eat my ricordia...you had any probs with that?

leigh

yah, i love how that happens...i moved mine after i saw it holding the ridordia in a sweeper tentacle...but now that the ricordia is coming back it looks like it doubled once in the ordeal :)

sammystingray

If the 440 watts are VHOs and run end to end as opposed to staggered, then you can keep anything under them that you could in any other tank with 440 at the same depth........are they staggered? gallons mean nothing. How are they placed?