corals minimum lighting question

caomt

is there such things as coral that do not need much lighting? or can be in a tank with just pc lighting..

caomt

thanks for the help.. i am planning on gettin small reef tank but i cant afford a bright light in my bed room

wax32

The light won't be on while you are sleeping. So don't let the bedroom thing put you off of a good light system. If you get a 4 bulb pc or VHO setup you can keep pretty much anything besides SPS and anemones. With only 2 bulbs you will be limited to lower light corals like mushrooms and leathers.

reefnut

Originally Posted by caomt
is there such things as coral that do not need much lighting? or can be in a tank with just pc lighting..
PC lighting can support a lot of different corals... or are you referring to something else??

caomt

how many watts would you think i would need? i have had a 400w MH producing about 36k lumens hangin inside my closet.. i have a closet under the stairway and i never had to use my room light if i just keep my closet door open...those things are very very very bright.... what size lighting do you guys suggest for a 29 gal reef

caomt

i was just wondering what types of corals.. i see some corals will not survive on pc lighting.. i just recently learned that on an anemone invert.. lasted about a few weeks

wax32

If it were me I'd hang a 175w MH pendant over it and be done. Or you could go with one of those fancy setups with 2 pc bulbs (for actinics) and one MH bulb.

caomt

i have this one light fixture that supports up to 250 watts i bought from walmart..just a screw on bulb.. you think i can use a MH bulb with it? like a 200 and below..

wax32

Originally Posted by caomt
i have this one light fixture that supports up to 250 watts i bought from walmart..just a screw on bulb.. you think i can use a MH bulb with it? like a 200 and below..
You could but the wavelength (color) would probably be wrong. Those are usually mercury vapor, which is a similar light, but not really for reef use.