Corals reduce nitrates!

cgj

before I added my sun polyps and green star polyps, my nitrates were always around 10-20 ppm. I just added the GSP last week and my nitrates have plummeted to less than 5... seems they eat those out of the water. Nice.

maxalmon

I would seriously have to debate you on this, most soft corals can tolerate a minor level of nitrates, but as a far as them actually reducing the levels, I would have to say that something else is the cause.

cgj

I have no idea. I havent added any nitrate remover, nor have I performed a water chance recently...

maxalmon

How old is your tank and how much LR do yo have? Did you change your feeding schedule? Could be the test kits. As long as fish and corals are fine, then I would worry too much about it...

farslayer

Actually that is absolutely true, corals do utilize nitrates. Remember, the beneficial zooxanthellae will utilize nitrates for growth. The reason we keep nitrate low is to prevent the extreme growth of the zooxanthellae, which actually causes the coral to reduce its growth rate substantially. Organisms such as anemones, algae, and coral will utilize nitrate, but the soft corals appear to be the ones which benefit over the more calcerous corals; the theory is that the elevated nitrate causes the host coral to compete with the zooxanthellae for inorganic carbon (the study was conducted using Porites compressa).
This comes from Advanced Aquarist magazine, August 2003. It's a bit out of date, and I've not updated myself as to the literature, but point being is that adding corals can reduce nitrate levels, if the research is correct.

drea

xenia def helps, mine readings were never 0 till i added xenia, its just amazing! and these readings are feeding everyday, and a month w/o water changes (usually i change every 2 weeks)

farslayer

Originally Posted by drea
xenia def helps, mine readings were never 0 till i added xenia, its just amazing! and these readings are feeding everyday, and a month w/o water changes (usually i change every 2 weeks)
There are lots of people who use Xenia in their fuge instead of chaeto, and it goes along with the findings of the studies cited in the article I mentioned. Soft corals (not all!) can readily benefit from nitrates. There has not been any causation found to my knowledge, only a correlation, but it is fascinating. Using this knowledge you can build fuges based on something other than algaes. Science is wonderful!

bullitr

Originally Posted by drea
that is why i have 3 kinds of xenias in my tank to keep my sps happy