Corals, what do they need as addatives?

C

clowntang

I know there is a long list of Kent produces to use on your tank for addatives. Example, iodine, calcium, mag., stron., ect. What i was wondering is what do most people use or not use. Is all of it needed to have good corals that grow? I know light is important already, I am running a 72"inch orbit with 96w 10ks' and 96w actinics (460mn) on the tank now with lunars. I think i am ok with with light. so just wondered what i need to add to the water to help the corals along. Any advice would be greatly appricated.

wangotango

Only add what you test for. Overdosing by even a little amount with most chemicals can be very bad in a reef.
All you should really need to add should be a two-part like b-ionic for calcium and alkalinity. Everything else comes from frequent water changes with a good salt mix.
-Justin

geoj

You can start by testing for these
Calcium
KH or Alk
Magnesium
Specific Gravity or Salinity
Nitrate
PH
Phosphate
Silicate
Temp
Once you can keep them in line for say 3-4 months then read up on these and test for them
Iodide
Strontium
Keep a logbook
Do water changes for the trace elements or learn more.

T

tizzo

Your salt mix already has all of those supplement in it. With proper water changes, you should not need to add ANY of those things.
YOu only need the ionics if you have something rapidly depleting your calcium and alk, like lots of stoney corals.
Otherwise, you don't need to add any of it!!!!!

C

clowntang

Thank you all, I am using reef cystals for the salt mix. So i am going to take tizzos advice for now. But thank you all for the great info