CoralVue bulbs on standard ballasts

fender

As an FYI.
It appears there is a problem with Coralvue bulbs running on standard magnetic ballasts. In December I bought a 10K 400w Coralvue that lasted about 5 weeks before it began having trouble firing. I thought the problem was with the ballast so I replaced it - the problem persisted so I contacted the vendor and the manufacturer. The vendor replaced the bulb free of charge and paid for shipping :D. The manufacturer told me if I had any future problems to contact them.
Well two days ago the problem started happening again. Seems about 5-6 weeks is about all I get out of these bulbs before the ignitor goes bad. I contacted the manufacturer (Coralvue) this morning but haven't gotten a response back yet. After doing a little research it seems there was a known ignitor problem, but this was supposedly fixed. The second bulb did look slightly different from the first. Several online vendors are now recommending only E-ballasts or Pulse for these bulbs.
These bulbs have been a great deal and provide excellent output and color, hopefully they will get this taken care of.
I may wind up buying an XM as a replacement/backup to keep on hand as my tank has been sitting under VHO actinics only for the past couple days.
NOTE: this problem only appears to exist on standard ballasts - I haven't heard of any problems on other ballast types.
As soon as I find out more I'll post again.

dburr

I run 175's. I have been running mine since the newyear. One if mine was mis-firing and it was replaced with no problems. Keep us posted.
Thanks

nas19320

Seems Coralvue bulbs have had a few problems. Apparently there were a few that didn't have the proper UV shielding around the SE bulbs and was a possible cause for corals bleaching. Also I believe they spike really high at 420nm which no other bulb does and it makes proper acclimation really important.

bigmac

I agree with Chris, DaveCV has been good about replacing bulbs. I had two 400 watt 20K's stop working and he shipped out two new bulbs as soon as the new designed bulbs came in.